June 18th, 2013

Swarovski-Earrings-FInal

DIY: Swarovski Crystal Drop Earrings

Swarovski-Earrings-FInal

I have to warn you… these earrings are a little bit of a pain in the butt to make.

That said, they are totally worth it.

You’ll spend less than $10 making them, (and maybe 1/2 hour) and everyone will think they are DANNIJO or some other fancypants brand.  In this case, I was inspired by this pair of Loren Hope earrings… I’ve seen earrings like this before but loved that they used box chain vs. a more simple chain… box chain is my favorite chain right now – is it nerdy that I have a favorite?

Swarovski-Earrings---Materials

Materials:  Silver Craft Wire // Scraps (about 6″ total) of Silver Box Chain // Pliers

6 Sew On Swarovski Crystals // 2 4mm Silver Jump Rings // 2 Silver Ear Wires

Swarovski-Earrings-Step-1

Begin by stringing on your first two crystals onto the wire.  I strung through the BOTTOM hole of the pink stones, and the TOP hole of the square.  You’ll see that the order is important as the project progresses.

Swarovski-Earrings-Step-2

Add your third stone first weaving through the BOTTOM hole, and then bringing the wire through the TOP hole.

Swarovski-Earrings---Step-3

From there, string on your box chain.

Swarovski-Earrings-Step-4

Swarovski-Earrings---Step5

Add on the bead, and then the box chain, and then weave your wire through the TOP hole of the second pink rhinestone.  From there, snip the ends of the wire and tuck them into the back of the rhinestone where they can’t be seen.

Swarovski-Earrings---Step6

Trim your chain to the desired length using wire nippers.

Swarovski-Earrings---Step7

Attach the box chain to a jump ring, and then to an ear wire.

Swarovski-Earrings-Final-2

Voila.. all done!

Swarovski-Earrings---Final3

photography by Grace Atwood for Stripes & Sequins

36 Responses to DIY: Swarovski Crystal Drop Earrings

1. PennyPincherFashion (@PPFGirl) June 18, 2013 at 6:26 am #

Totally in love with these, Grace – you did such a good job! Can you just add them to your Etsy shop and I’ll buy them from you? Then I won’t have to struggle for an hour…LOL :)

2. Bárbara Godinho June 18, 2013 at 7:21 am #

Loved it! They are fabulous! Do not get me wrong but I’ll have to copy the idea;) kiss

3. Rachelle June 18, 2013 at 8:04 am #

Love this you really need to sale them

4. Liz Schneider June 18, 2013 at 8:32 am #

These are amazing! You should add some to your shop ;)

5. Quinn Cooper June 18, 2013 at 8:34 am #

So pretty!
    Wish there was a photo of you wearing them.
    They totally look like Dannijo.
    xo Quinn

Quinn Cooper Style

6. The Avg Girl Guide (@AvgGirlsGuide) June 18, 2013 at 8:49 am #

Laughing at Kim’s comment because I was thinking the EXACT same thing. These are awesome, Grace!

alyson

7. Alela Sirah June 18, 2013 at 9:12 am #

These are pretty they have a retro flair.

8. Alyssa Longobucco June 18, 2013 at 9:34 am #

I love these–the crystals are so pretty! And WHAT is your nail color?!

9. Rachel June 18, 2013 at 9:48 am #

These are gorgeous!

10. lifeonthesquares June 18, 2013 at 11:05 am #

totally look like DANNIJO (one of my fav jewelry brands) – I want to make them!

xox, Stefanie
    Life on the Squares

11. daisy o June 18, 2013 at 11:58 am #

these are so pretty! love your diys! :)

& Pretty Things

12. Denise Atwood June 18, 2013 at 12:21 pm #

love these, yes, put them in your shop!

13. Madeleine June 18, 2013 at 12:25 pm #

I LIKE!!! I think I need to try these.

14. Sarah June 18, 2013 at 1:31 pm #

These are GORGEOUS and they look very “designer.” Nicely done! I read through all the instructions and I worry I don’t have a steady enough hand to make these look anywhere near as good as yours, but I think it’s worth trying because for $10, well, I can’t really go too wrong. Thanks for the DIY idea!

15. Sunita June 18, 2013 at 1:48 pm #

Wow! Now if I could get my hands on them materials to make them..

Grace Atwood June 18, 2013 at 1:58 pm #

You can! I link to all of the materials in the post. :)

16. Chelsea June 18, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

This is such a cool DIY Grace. I love the pretty pink stones!

xoxo,
    Chelsea & The City

17. lizmcavoy June 18, 2013 at 2:48 pm #

Your tutorials always make that former part of me that made jewelry want to jump back into it full-force! Especially love this tutorial, might inspire me to finally get back into it!

18. michelle June 18, 2013 at 3:31 pm #

love this! so pretty! wish i could actually make things without ruining it.

19. Lia ~ Smart n Snazzy June 18, 2013 at 3:39 pm #

Brilliant and absolutely beautiful, Grace! They look so expensive, and not all that difficult to make. And I too have a love affair with box chain at the moment, too :)
    xo
    Lia
    Smart n Snazzy

20. Fallon Carmichael June 18, 2013 at 8:56 pm #

these are gorgeous!!!

21. Chelsea June 19, 2013 at 10:20 am #

What pretty earrings! Perhaps I’ll have to give ‘em a whirl!

22. Gaby [The Vault Files] June 19, 2013 at 11:27 am #

So awesome!

23. Samantha June 19, 2013 at 4:38 pm #

Cool. Sew on crystals are intriguing me.

24. Kelly July 16, 2013 at 7:34 pm #

Do the Swarovski crystals come already in the gold setting, or do you need that separately?

Grace Atwood July 16, 2013 at 9:53 pm #

Hi Kelly! You can buy them in the setting or out… it just depends where you buy them! The place I link to sells each part separately.

25. denise@goodalls.us December 20, 2013 at 8:33 am #

How did you secure your wire before you snipped it?

26. Hapiness, Everywhere October 2, 2014 at 9:44 am #

Been seeing a lot of these box chain DIYs around- but box chain s so much more expensive than other chains :( so yet to try one or use them for a hapinesswherever.wordpress.com DIY :(

1. Hautelinks: Week of 6/20/13 – College Fashion - June 20, 2013

[...] + Sequins did some super gorgeous DIY crystal drop earrings that we’re dying to make [...]

2. Hautelinks: Week of 6/20/13 | FFBlogs - June 20, 2013

3. Hautelinks: Week of 6/20/13 | ForeverVogue | Because Life is a runway - June 20, 2013

4. Hautelinks: Week of 6/20/13 | znests.com - June 21, 2013

5. Weekend Reading | Stripes & Sequins - June 22, 2013

[...] case you missed them…  I had two DIYs this week:  Swarovski Earrings and a Crystal Necklace.  (And I can’t wait to share next week’s bracelet project with [...]

6. 5 Runway Trends That You Can DIY (With Things You Already Own) | The Stylitics Report - September 26, 2013

[…] statement earrings without the statement price tag? Grace of Stripes and Sequins put together this DIY, which will dress up your lobes for under $10. We’re […]

7. DIY: 7 trends you can do to look stylish with things you already own. — - October 28, 2013

8. The 7 Best DIY Fashion Blogs | Blog Origami - April 17, 2014