May 22nd, 2013

how-to-make-a-blow-out-last

Making a Blow-out last a week.

how-to-make-a-blow-out-last

This post is long overdue as one of the most frequent questions I get over here is… “how do you make your blowout last for so long!?!”   Today I thought I’d share some tips & tricks for how I get a solid 5 (sometimes 7) days out of each blow-out.  I should forewarn you that my hair is very thick and on the drier side, so I’m naturally predisposed to being able to go a bit longer between washes.   I should also warn you that I am a regular at Dream Dry and The Dry Bar and having a pro do your hair makes all the difference in the world… but anyway, here are my tips & tricks.

If you are doing your own hair, lather up… twice.  I love this Mango shampoo right now.  It smells like heaven and is great for damaged tresses.  It’s important to lather up twice so that you remove as much oil as possible… the dryer the cuticle, the longer your blow-out will last.

Put conditioner on just the ends, and let it really sink in for a few minutes.  Right now, my fave is this one from Arrojo.

Don’t apply product.  I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but the less stuff in your hair, the longer it will last.  I rely on using a really good conditioner and not a lot of product.  If you MUST use something, I really like this styling cream.

At night, sleep with your hair in a high bun.  I hear a satin pillowcase also works but I don’t use one.

Use a dry shampoo… but not until you really need it.  Like, really need it. Everyone knows that your hair might look + smell fine after using dry shampoo, but it makes your hair feel kind of dirty + gross, no?  So I wait until as long as possible (3-4 days in, at least) before using it… because once you add it, there is no going back… you’ll have to.  My personal favorites are from LuLu Oranics (the lavender one smells insanely good), Oribe (also smells amazing), and Tresemme (the best drug store brand I’ve tried).  It also helps if you put it in the night before.

Shu Umera’s Volume Maker is a godsend.  It’s really one of the coolest products I’ve tried.  It looks like a blush brush, but is actually for your hair.  You brush it on along your part, at the roots… really anywhere you need a little bit of volume or texture.

Lastly, touch your hair as little as possible…. there is oil on your hands, and you don’t want that near your hair!  If your ends get dry use a tiny bit of styling cream.  That’s IT!  Less is more.

16 Responses to Making a Blow-out last a week.

1. Rachel May 22, 2013 at 3:05 pm #

That touch-up product is a genius idea! My blowouts usually last 2-3 days MAX!

2. Liz May 22, 2013 at 3:57 pm #

I also go about a week (sometimes 10 days) in between washes. Have you tried Oscar Blandi Pronto Dry Shampoo? It’s the only one I have found that really leaves my hair feeling clean after and not like product is just building up on it. I have been dying to try out the Volume Maker, it looks awesome.

3. Hitha May 22, 2013 at 4:05 pm #

I need to try that volume maker, especially since my hair is short now! A great tip I picked up is to massage the dry shampoo into your roots with VERY clean hands – it adds great volume and refreshes your roots.

4. Elizabeth // The Now May 22, 2013 at 4:09 pm #

OK! A. I need this mango shampoo B. I need that shu umera volume stuff you are talking about. I am seriously the worst…THE WORST about doing my hair. You know it’s a big night for me when I blow dry my hair. haha! xo

5. Jayme May 22, 2013 at 4:47 pm #

I think I already want EVERY Klorane product on drugstore.com. I also want every Celine bag on Portero :) Thanks for introducing me to both, hehe. Just check your hyperlink for the mango shampoo. I love that you have Celine on the mind!

6. Jessica May 22, 2013 at 5:40 pm #

I just had my FIRST blow out last week & it was a life changer. I made it last 3 days before my hair was a grease pit, but I would love to try some of these tips next time I give the blow dry bar a go!
    Thanks lady!

xx
    Here&Now
    Enter my $50 giftcard Giveaway

7. Mary May 22, 2013 at 6:47 pm #

Amazing tips! I can definitely vouch for the Oribe dry shampoo–it’s a life saver and smells amazing like you said. I’m definitely going to have to try that volumizing brush as well! I feel like I can never go more than two days without washing, but it sounds like these things will really make a difference! Thanks for the info!!

xxoo,
    Mary

The Classy Cubicle

8. sienna May 22, 2013 at 7:36 pm #

i love this, im a pro at making blow outs last a week, so good for the health of your hair!

9. Smash May 22, 2013 at 7:44 pm #

BRAVO! I have been so curious about this. Thanks for sharing! xo

10. Kayleigh May 22, 2013 at 9:10 pm #

I have the tresemme Fresh Start dry shampoo, but I have really dark brown hair and it doesn’t work! The powder spray makes my hair look gray. It does make me hair look dry, though!
    Still on the hunt for the perfect dry shampoo for brunettes!

• lindseymillard June 10, 2013 at 9:38 am #

Kayleigh, I’ve had the same problem you have! My favorite is Salon Grafix. They have one specifically for brunettes. I find mine at Ulta, but you can order online from them. It’s only like $8 a can, so completely affordable!! I’ve tried other brunette dry shampoos and NOTHING hold a candle to Salon Grafix…. so far! It pretty much changed my hair routine forever. Good luck!

11. Chelsea May 22, 2013 at 9:22 pm #

Great recommendations! I’ve always wondered how you make it an entire week while looking so fabulous – I’ll have to check these out!

12. chelsie | chelsie, darling May 23, 2013 at 1:00 pm #

have you tried the suave keratin dry shampoo in the gold can? It’s amaze!

13. whitney May 23, 2013 at 7:38 pm #

I am definitely an advocate of making my blowouts last, but are you able to workout still? I’m obsessed with soul cycle and while it is an awesome workout it really ruins ones hair (life is so tough, right!?).

14. Megan May 27, 2013 at 11:13 am #

Mine only ever lasts 3 days max! I too have found that putting the dry shampoo in at night helps tons more than when I use it in the morning! Definitely want to try that volume maker! Great recommendations!

1. Weekly Wrap Up 33 - The Barn - May 25, 2013

[...] tips for washing your hair once a week and these tips for making a blow-out last a week will come in handy, well as long as my hair cooperates. Which it probably [...]