May 8th, 2013

IMG_6056

Designer DIY: Neon Tassel Earrings with Holst & Lee

IMG_6056

IMG_6060

earrings

Today I’m thrilled to bring you the first in a two part series with Holst + Lee.  I’ve long admired the brand and could not believe it when they wanted to work together on this.  I spent Saturday afternoon in Brooklyn with Natalie (Holst) who is one half of the designer duo, and have to tell you… she is really, really cool.  (Case in point:  She picked me up in a bright blue truck, wearing a floral dress that was backwards.. but looked way better that way).  We had a few mimosas and spent the afternoon making these earrings and a necklace (sneak peek here… tutorial coming on Friday)!

Psst… For some non-DIY earrings, I am obsessed with these… have been eyeing ‘em since their preview a few months ago!

IMG_6059

IMG_6079

To make the earrings, all you need is:  About a foot of Fringe Trim // Two Eyepins // Two Large Cap Beads // Two Beads //  Two Ear Hooks or Posts // Pliers // Not Pictured:  E6000 Glue // Wire Nippers

(we’ll use the rest of the supplies in part two!)

IMG_6080

Holst-Lee1

Begin making the earring by stringing a bead onto an eyepin, followed by a cap bead.  Trim the eyepin (leave about 3/8″ of wire above the beads) and then form a loop.

Holst-Lee2

Connect the eyepin to the post or ear wire, and then we’ll go about forming the tassels.  To make the tassel, you take the fringe trim and tightly roll it… until you get about the width of your endcap.  We just eyeballed it, but if you wanted to, you could measure.

Holst-Lee3

Holst-Lee4

When you get to your desired width, take a needle and thread and stick it through the wrapped trim.  Wrap the thread around a few times, and then stick it back in.  Cut the very top of the trim off, and seal it by lighting it with a match and melting the top.  Apply a drop of E6000 glue, and jam it into the end cap.  Done.  Keep these instructions in mind for Friday…  you’ll need them for the necklace!

Sidebar:  I’ve made a lot of tassels in my life… this is the easiest, quickest, and most effective.  You learn something new every day!

IMG_6103

Attach your tassel to the bead/endcap combo and you are ready to go!

IMG_6105 IMG_6109

IMG_6123

IMG_6217

31 Responses to Designer DIY: Neon Tassel Earrings with Holst & Lee

1. Sarah Mountain May 8, 2013 at 7:24 am #

Love these Grace!!! what size are the gold end caps????

2. Rachelle May 8, 2013 at 7:56 am #

that is so cool, I’m in love with their bracelets. The last time I was in NY I had so much fun shopping for Jewelry Supplies for my jewelry store. I cannot wait to go back.

xo

3. Liz Schneider May 8, 2013 at 8:16 am #

So so so cool, G! You should start doing these collabs for Shopbop or something so we can buy. :)

4. Quinn Cooper May 8, 2013 at 8:22 am #

GREAT DIY! Love those earrings.
    Looks relatively easy.
    xo Quinn

Quinn Cooper Style

5. Alyssa May 8, 2013 at 10:06 am #

Gah! I love Holst and Lee and the earrings you made are fabuloussss!

6. Anni May 8, 2013 at 10:08 am #

Oh my those are very lovely and seems pretty easy to do

7. Lauren May 8, 2013 at 10:15 am #

love these so much! you should add to your etsy shop :)

ps anna & i just launched our summer 2013 jewelry line if you’d like to check it out: http://www.annacroswell.storenvy.com

xo

8. Erin May 8, 2013 at 11:10 am #

So awesome! And it doesn’t look tooooo crazy hard ;)

xx,
    E
    Currently Coveting

9. Chelsea May 8, 2013 at 12:13 pm #

Um, LOVE! This is such a good series. I know I have said it, but it rings true every time. Love the earrings. What an amazing experience for you too, Grace, to get to meet these creative people and get a behind the scenes. xo

10. Tina May 8, 2013 at 1:04 pm #

I’m in love with those tassels – so fun for summer!! The neon is a perfect compliment to a summer tan:)

xoxo
    Tina

11. Chelsea May 8, 2013 at 1:08 pm #

I want a pair! These are gorgeous Grace.

xoxo,
    Chelsea & The City

12. klaudia m May 8, 2013 at 1:23 pm #

Lovely earrings you’re wearing but I’m not brave enough to wear them as they are so bright! <3

Grace Atwood May 9, 2013 at 1:34 pm #

aw! you could make them in a more classic color. I’m dying to make in white or navy!

13. chelsie | chelsie, darling May 8, 2013 at 1:57 pm #

start your own jewelry line! for real, you’ve got serious talent! x

14. Advice from a Twenty Something May 8, 2013 at 2:48 pm #

Love how simple these were to make but how chic they came out! Great idea.

xo
    Amanda

15. Jordan - Queen of LA May 8, 2013 at 3:01 pm #

oh my god. grace! sell me these! i want to wear them NOW! :)

16. Erin @ Thanks, I Made It May 8, 2013 at 6:30 pm #

These are so cute! Can’t wait to see the necklace.

17. Stacey @ Likes to Smile May 8, 2013 at 8:58 pm #

Obsessed! Those are amazing! Well done.

18. vjuliet August 5, 2013 at 10:05 pm #

This is awesome Grace! I’ve been a huge fan of them and these earrings are absolutely stunning!

xoxo Julieta

19. C123 December 16, 2013 at 1:39 pm #

Did you use the 4″ or 6″ tassels? These look great!

Grace Atwood December 16, 2013 at 3:23 pm #

4 inch!

• C123 December 16, 2013 at 3:55 pm #

Could you please send me the actual link to the 4″ tassels? I was not able to find the correct shade or pink. Thank you!

Grace Atwood December 16, 2013 at 3:57 pm #

We made the tassel out of fringe, that the Holst & Lee girls had purchased… I am not positive where they bought it!

1. Designer DIY: Neon Tassle Necklace with Holst & Lee | Stripes & Sequins - May 10, 2013

[…] the steps found here, assemble seven tassels with endcap/beads… basically as if you were making the earrings but […]

2. The Weekend Rundown: What to Shop, Read, Watch, and Eat - Fantabulously Frugal - Fantabulously Frugal - May 10, 2013

[…] While I probably won’t go the neon route, I’m definitely going to try out Stripes & Sequins Tassel Earring Tutorial! […]

3. The Weekend Rundown: What to Shop, Read, Watch, and Eat - Fantabulously Frugal in NYC - Fantabulously Frugal in NYC - May 10, 2013

4. Weekend Reading | Stripes & Sequins - May 11, 2013

[…] you catch my DIYs with Holst + Lee?  Earrings + a […]

5. The Weekend Rundown: Sales to Shop & Sites to Read - Fantabulously Frugal in Chicago - May 11, 2013

6. Tassel earrings and zipper studs | kylykokewiet - May 16, 2013

[…] These tassel earrings were a simplification of this tutorial (because I couldn’t find the large endcaps that they used) – http://www.stripesandsequins.com/2013/05/designer-diy-neon-tassel-earrings-with-holst-lee.html#more-… […]

7. The Friday Report | The Vows of Friendship - September 27, 2013

[…] already expressed our love for tassels, here’s a DIY you can wear. (And no, it’s not like that, get your mind outta the […]

8. Holst & Lee SS14 | Stripes & Sequins - April 16, 2014

[…] site or at Shopbop, amongst other places. We first met while shooting these tassel necklace + tassel earring DIY  projects and instantly hit it off. More specifically, we hit it off when she suggested that we […]