April 30th, 2013

BLUEDRESS_8

DIY: Mixed Media Collar Necklace

BLUEDRESS_8

DIY:  Mixed Media Collar Necklace

Today’s DIY is a little different than usual, in that we are taking a perfectly fine necklace and transforming it into something new and different.  If you are anything like me, you probably have a crystal collar or two laying around.  I probably have at least five of them, and have been feeling a bit bored with ‘em.  My problem is that I keep buying them, and then finding a new favorite.  The one I used for this tutorial came from Forever 21, so it wasn’t a big deal to cut it up… but I had no idea how much I’d love the end results… this is hands down, my favorite necklace right now.

necklace1

You’ll Need:  Crystal Necklace (Forever 21 always has great options, as does Etsy.  Here, here (colored!) and here are some good options) // Rope // Fishbone Chain (I buy mine at New York Beads in the garment district of NYC but you can also buy it online here). // Clasp (love these magnetic crystal clasps) // 4 small Jump Rings // Scissors // Two Barrel End Caps // (not pictured) Embroidery Floss, pliers, E6000 Glue

necklace2Start by trimming the chain part off of your necklace.  (You may need wire nippers to do this).

necklace3

necklace4

Lay your rope out, centering the crystal portion.

necklace5

necklace6

Tie on a piece of embroidery floss.

necklace7

Slowly and carefully wrap the crystal necklace to the rope.

necklace8

necklace9

Wrap twice around each piece of crystal.

necklace10

When you get to the end, make a loop and knot it off.  I double/triple knot just to be safe.

necklace11

necklace12

Take your fishbone chain and weave it through the center of the crystal part of your necklace.

necklace13

necklace14

Finish off the sides by using a jump ring to link the end fo the chain to the crystal part of the necklace.

necklace16

necklace17

Using a bit of glue, pop each side of your rope into an end cap.

necklace18

Allow to dry.

necklace19

necklace20

Hook your clasp onto the endcaps using jump rings + pliers.

necklace1

First, Second, and Last photos by Lydia Hudgens

40 Responses to DIY: Mixed Media Collar Necklace

1. Alyssa April 30, 2013 at 6:39 am #

LOVE this, Grace! So gorg. I want one!

2. Quinn Cooper April 30, 2013 at 7:21 am #

Really awesome DIY! Such a great way to modernize a classic rhinestone necklace. WIll have to try this one of my many necklaces like this. Thanks for the inspiration!
    xo Quinn

Quinn Cooper Style

3. Rachelle April 30, 2013 at 7:23 am #

That is so awesome Grace, I love it.

xo

4. isabel April 30, 2013 at 8:16 am #

Cute and easy! The best ingredient for a successful DIY.
    I just came across your blog the other day going through the craft directory at bloglovin’.

Also great guide to NY – will keep this in mind for my next visit.

Welcome to come by and have a look at my Style/DIY blog from Hong Kong

Ciao/ Isabel

5. Jayme April 30, 2013 at 8:47 am #

Grace, this is beautiful and I cannot wait to doctor up my own creation! I only wish I still had my huge case of embroidery floss circa 1990. I had every color under the sun!

6. Alyssa April 30, 2013 at 9:05 am #

This is my favorite yet! I love mixed metals, and I’ve been looking for fun things to do with those crystal Forever21 necklaces. They’re just begging for a DIY!

7. Lauren April 30, 2013 at 9:42 am #

so cute- love this idea, grace! xo

8. Lia ~ Smart n Snazzy April 30, 2013 at 9:48 am #

LOVE this! The fishbone chain is such a perfect finishing touch!
    xo
    Lia
    Smart n Snazzy

9. Rachel April 30, 2013 at 9:55 am #

I wish I had the patience to make pieces like this! It looks so pretty!

10. Robin April 30, 2013 at 10:33 am #

This is brilliant! (As usual!)

11. Ana April 30, 2013 at 10:36 am #

Hard to believe something that gorgeous can be that easy to make. I love it!

12. Liz Schneider April 30, 2013 at 10:53 am #

So amazing, Grace! I am completely jealous of your creative eye.

13. Diva by D-sign April 30, 2013 at 11:11 am #

This diyis is Awesome!!!

14. Mckenzie April 30, 2013 at 1:17 pm #

Love the mixing of the materials. It all turned out great!

15. Charmaine-All in a Soiree April 30, 2013 at 1:17 pm #

I have been wanting to know how to make these! Thanks so much for sharing:)
    All in a soiree has officially joined Facebook
    Sparkles of everything event planning and design!!

16. chelsie | chelsie, darling April 30, 2013 at 2:21 pm #

Very creative, Grace! I think rope detailing is perfect for spring/summer!

17. Erin @ Thanks, I Made It April 30, 2013 at 2:57 pm #

fun! I always love a great combination of textures and metals

18. Jessica Wallace April 30, 2013 at 3:14 pm #

OH. MY. GOSH. I love this so much. That takes some talent to come up with that. Great job!

19. Dana April 30, 2013 at 3:29 pm #

Love this! Question, do you have a favorite place in NYC to get jewelry repaired? I have a necklace I love that broke recently and I don’t have the tools or the knowledge to fix it myself. Thanks!

20. Chelsea April 30, 2013 at 3:58 pm #

This necklace is stunning Grace! I’m so impressed that you made it yourself.

xoxo,
    Chelsea & The City

21. ALISON April 30, 2013 at 4:09 pm #

I love this idea – making that exists even prettier, great job!

22. Erin @ Pocket Stylist April 30, 2013 at 5:07 pm #

Such a great DIY I love how this turned out. YOu are so stinkin creative

23. Sarah April 30, 2013 at 5:38 pm #

This is amazing! It looks so professional! I wish I had an old necklace laying around that I could do this with.

24. Jordan - Queen of LA April 30, 2013 at 7:17 pm #

i literally own 12 jewel color necklaces. i should SERIOUSLY do this. great job!

25. Kristina April 30, 2013 at 7:30 pm #

This turned out so cool!! I love the fishbone chain you added in.

Kristina does the Internets

26. Chelsea April 30, 2013 at 11:15 pm #

AHH!! SO great! I love that fishbone chain. xo

27. Adventures in Fashion May 1, 2013 at 12:36 am #

This is beyond amazing, you little diy mastermind, you! Definitely trying this one out… Thanks for the inspiration! xx

28. LeeLee May 1, 2013 at 1:20 am #

Wow, fabulous DIY necklace.

29. Jonelle @ Design Thrift May 1, 2013 at 4:27 pm #

This turned out great! I love that you used a magnetic clasp also. They are so much easier to put on and off and they don’t get tangled in your hair.

30. michaela May 1, 2013 at 5:53 pm #

Goodness, Grace! This is so pretty. You’re so good!

31. Amber - Real Girl Glam May 2, 2013 at 10:48 am #

Such a gorgeous piece! Definitely doesn’t look DIY!

32. Sara May 2, 2013 at 4:19 pm #

This looks SO good. I’m not sure I have the patience to do this, but I really, really want to!

33. Emily | Sparkle Meets Pop May 3, 2013 at 7:50 pm #

What a great project! I am inspired to jazz up some jewelery that I’m not wearing much anymore.

34. megan, tfdiaries May 20, 2013 at 4:10 pm #

chic and glam, as per usual grace!
    Xo, Megan, http://www.TfDiaries.com

1. Hautelinks: Week of 5/2/13 | FFBlogs - May 2, 2013

[…] you, like us, have at least one old crystal necklace from Forever 21 lying around, this DIY necklace makeover is a […]

2. Little Blue Dress | Stripes & Sequins - May 3, 2013

[…] Dress // DIY Necklace // Celine Bag // Elizabeth & James […]

3. w&w weekly roundup | WIT & whimsy - May 3, 2013

[…] This DIY necklace is everything- I love it. […]

4. Hautelinks: Week of 5/2/13 | znests.com - May 4, 2013

5. Hoy una de collares DIY veraniegos que os van a chiflar. | muymolon - May 7, 2013

[…] Y a lucir este espectacular collar handmade. Podrás ver todos los detalles y los pasos a seguir, aquí […]

6. Top DIY Jewelry Making: How to InstructionsHandmade-Jewelry-Club - May 9, 2014

[…] of the history is the fashionable trends all over the world. This tutorial represents a classic and fascinated DIY jewelry that will continue to enamor lovers of fashion and […]