March 12th, 2013

IMG_5653

Designer DIY: Lulu Frost Part 1

Today I’m excited to unveil a new series on the blog… Designer DIY, where I will be visiting with a few of my favorite designers and working on a project or two with them.  As much as I (ADORE) bringing you weekly designer-inspired tutorials, a lot of craftsmanship + hard work goes into creating the original pieces.  I am hoping that this series will give you an insider look at how it all goes down behind the scenes and get to know these amazing designers a little bit better!

IMG_5653

photo IMG_5678.jpgIt was only fitting after our little studio visit to kick things off with the incredible Lisa Salzer of Lulu Frost.  We made these beautiful earrings (above) and a necklace that I can’t wait to share with you on Friday.

photo IMG_5642.jpgI brought five old pieces to Lisa… some family treasures that were no longer wearable, and a few sparkly flea market finds.  We sat down over coffee and strategized.  I was blown away by her ideas.  Note:  This is actually a service that Lulu Frost offers.. if you have old family heirlooms or jewels you don’t regularly wear, you can send them to her and she will reconstruct them into something beautiful/relevant for today.  (Just shoot them an email!)

photo IMG_5643.jpg

IMG_5636

I’m going to get to the project details in just a second… but first, can we just pause and admire this crazy cool jewelry display wall that she made with my pals at Honestly WTF!?

photo IMG_5647.jpg

photo IMG_5650.jpgTo make the earrings, we decided that we’d split up the red + crystal buckle into two “pendants” to make earrings.  Lisa first used wire nippers to remove the back of the buckle (just some errant clips) and then a metal file to smooth out the backs.

photo IMG_5658.jpgFrom there, Lisa used a drill to gently pop out one crystal on each side of the pendants…  I have always been a bit afraid of my drill, but she was a master.  Maybe I will give mine another shot after this.

photo IMG_5660.jpg

photo IMG_5661.jpgAnd here are our pendants, all ready to be transformed into beautiful earrings!

photo IMG_5664.jpgNext, we wandered over to Lisa’s (incredible) wall of chain to select a delicate brass chain to connect to the pendants.  Also – how gorgeous is she!?  One of the most stylish human beings, like ever… if you ask me.

photo IMG_5668.jpgWe grabbed some pliers + jump rings and were ready to go!

photo IMG_5670.jpgUsing two small jump rings, Lisa connected the chain to the pendant.

photo IMG_5671.jpg

photo IMG_5672.jpg

photo IMG_5675.jpgFrom there, we added a simple brass earwire, and I was ready to go!

photo IMG_5676.jpgAnd voila… the finished piece.  I feel so lucky to own these amazing earrings – made from my old vintage find, by one of my absolute favorite designers. Stay tuned for Friday, where we make a beautiful necklace.  We also have a little reader challenge for you… get excited!

photos of Lisa and I by Lexi Cross. all other photos by me.

60 Responses to Designer DIY: Lulu Frost Part 1

1. Rachelle March 12, 2013 at 7:16 am #

Lisa is so great I heard her talk at the #ifb conference she was my favorite speaker, maybe I’m biased because I love making jewelry as well.

xo

2. chelsie March 12, 2013 at 7:25 am #

what an amazing opportunity! the pieces are gorgeous :)

3. Amber - Real Girl Glam March 12, 2013 at 7:53 am #

Going to the LuLu Frost studio looks like a dream come true! The finished earrings are beautiful!

4. Katrina [Parker and West] March 12, 2013 at 7:53 am #

OMG, I’m so excited for this series! And those earrings are gorgeous!

5. Erin @ Thanks, I Made It March 12, 2013 at 8:07 am #

What an amazing opportunity! I’m really excited to see what else you’ll be doing– what a great way to do-it-yourself while experiencing the amazing talent and craftsmanship

6. alyson March 12, 2013 at 8:16 am #

wow!! what a cool experience and amazing you got to transform your pieces with her. those earrings are amazing.

7. Lauren March 12, 2013 at 8:34 am #

I loved these on Insta and love them here too – I really like this collab. idea!

8. Liz Schneider March 12, 2013 at 8:58 am #

What a fun experience!

9. ALISON March 12, 2013 at 9:09 am #

That is really awesome! Congratulations! So inspiring to work with people you admire:)

10. Alyssa March 12, 2013 at 9:39 am #

I absolutely adore the idea behind this series. I can’t wait to see more!

11. Heidi {Dooley Noted Style} March 12, 2013 at 9:57 am #

I am so excited for this new feature! I adore Lulu Frost & this is such a fun way to see behind the scenes of the magic they create. Those earrings are fab!

12. brighton March 12, 2013 at 10:27 am #

ahhhh!!! could you be any cooler? I’m so excited for this new feature!!! YAY!!! you’re such a rockstar!

13. Aly March 12, 2013 at 10:28 am #

What a fun post and so great that you are really stepping up the gear in showing us more of the designer side to making ! Loved seeing the tools, wall of chains, and idea from start to finish.
    x

14. Hitha March 12, 2013 at 10:36 am #

What a great new feature – and great new earrings! I’m looking forward to Friday’s post and DIY!

15. elle [wonderfelle world] March 12, 2013 at 10:45 am #

This is such an awesome series Grace!! Love the way the earrings turned out!

16. Taylor March 12, 2013 at 10:55 am #

Those are stunning and what an INCREDIBLE experience!!!!! So COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Lia ~ Smart n Snazzy March 12, 2013 at 11:15 am #

Incredible, Grace! What an amazing and surreal experience for you! These turned out so lovely, can’t wait to see the necklace!
    xx
    Lia
    Smart n Snazzy

18. viv March 12, 2013 at 11:17 am #

This is SO amazing!! Blown away by this series. Seriously.

19. Alela Sirah March 12, 2013 at 11:23 am #

That is such a cool opportunity!! btw you look pretty in your close up pic

20. Aimee March 12, 2013 at 11:53 am #

Such an amazing partnership!! The final earrings are beautiful!!

21. rita March 12, 2013 at 12:03 pm #

such an amazing, creative new feature – thanks for sharing and i’m excited for the next one!

22. Merrill March 12, 2013 at 12:08 pm #

Awesome series! Can’t wait to see what comes next. Makes me want to look through my vintage jewelry and “attempt” to make something like those earrings!

23. Kristina March 12, 2013 at 12:29 pm #

This is so cool, those earrings turned out amazing!

Kristina

Kristina does the Internets

24. meghan March 12, 2013 at 12:45 pm #

Grace, this is an amazing feature!! I love how you re-purposed something unwearable and the earrings are so beautiful. You never cease to amaze me with your creativity.

25. Alyssa March 12, 2013 at 1:18 pm #

This is one of my favorite posts you have ever done! I loooove Lulu Frost jewelry so it’s such a treat to get a behind the scenes glimpse like this. And I adore those earrings you made!

26. Elizabeth // The Now March 12, 2013 at 1:35 pm #

OK wow!! This is so cool that you got to work with Lisa!! I heard her speak at IFB and she left such a great impression on me! She was so inspiring! I love that you could share your insane creativity with her! xoxo

27. Novella - 9lla.it March 12, 2013 at 1:38 pm #

I love her style! They’re super cool jewelry pieces!
    And congrats for your opportunity :)
    xx
    Novella

Fashion & DIYs

28. Gaby March 12, 2013 at 1:50 pm #

Oh my Goodness I love this new series already! And I love how she reconstructs old pieces into new ones! This is amazing!!

29. Monique March 12, 2013 at 1:58 pm #

Grace what an awesome DIY!! That’s incredible that you got to spend the day DIYing with Lisa of Lulu Frost! She’s one of my designer idols as well. She partly Inspired me to start my little DIY jewelry line way back when :)

30. christin March 12, 2013 at 2:03 pm #

amazeballs.com

31. Bettina March 12, 2013 at 2:10 pm #

I love this series that you’re doing! It’ll be so fun to get a peek behind the scenes with these jewelry designers.

32. Mandy - Other Shoes in the Sea March 12, 2013 at 2:33 pm #

Lisa is incredibly inspiring and talented and I just love your new series! I didn’t know that Lulu Frost could reconstruct old pieces into new ones. Definitely something to consider with a lot of my grandmother’s old / broken pieces!

33. Julie Leah March 12, 2013 at 2:40 pm #

I can’t wait to see more, Grace!! These earrings are beautiful. I had no idea that Lulu Frost offered that service – that’s goood info. to have!!

34. Stacey @ Likes to Smile March 12, 2013 at 2:55 pm #

Wow! Love the finished earrings. I also love this as a column, I think it’s so wonderful to get to “meet” different designers and see a wider perspective of the DIY thought process! Very inspiring!

35. Chelsea March 12, 2013 at 3:07 pm #

Wow! What an absolutely amazing series. Lulu Frost is one of my all time favorite jewelry collections. How unique and special! Thanks for the great content, Grace! xo

36. Akaleistar March 12, 2013 at 3:54 pm #

Beautiful earrings! I will have to check out this service…

37. Chelsea March 12, 2013 at 5:24 pm #

How exciting!!! I would kill to spend the day at Lulu Frost. I’m looking forward to seeing what else you have in store for this series.

xoxo,
    Chelsea & The City
    Be sure to check out my Stella & Dot trunk show + giveaway!

38. Kara March 12, 2013 at 6:12 pm #

Great new feature! Very cool behind the scenes look.

39. lexi March 12, 2013 at 7:18 pm #

Grace, I am totally giddy over this new series – such a fantastic idea! And I’m not sure what I’m more obsessed with: the awesome jewelry or that framed jewelry organizer! #swoon

40. Chelsea March 12, 2013 at 9:07 pm #

What an awesome experience and a super fun series! I am in love with Lulu Frost and it’s so incredibly cool that the offer this service!

Chelsea
    Haute Child in the City

41. Caroline in the City March 12, 2013 at 9:43 pm #

Um, this is amazing! Can’t wait to see more!

42. Sara March 12, 2013 at 10:02 pm #

How fun! That day must have been a blast! And how amazing is having a wall full of chain? Love it!

43. Sarah March 12, 2013 at 10:05 pm #

This is seriously incredible!! What an amazing experience

44. Daisy March 12, 2013 at 10:28 pm #

what an amazing opportunity! love the diy :)

& Pretty Things

45. bestofbklyn March 12, 2013 at 10:57 pm #

Wow, what a cool experience, and I love the earrings!

46. Chic 'n Cheap Living March 13, 2013 at 12:52 am #

This is an awesome series and i love the final result. It’s amazing what a little pair of pliers can do!
    I love the concept and agree – some stuff can be DIY’d but artisans also put in great effort to really come up with other beautiful pieces and they should be appreciated!

xoxo,
    Chic ‘n Cheap Living

47. Kelly (@Birdieshoots) March 13, 2013 at 1:08 am #

Holy inspiration! I just love her designs :)

//Birdie Shoots//

48. Becca March 13, 2013 at 9:25 am #

Amazing!! Can’t wait to see the next one.

49. danielle @ lou what wear March 13, 2013 at 10:16 am #

love your creations! can’t wait to see your next project AND the reader challenge!

50. Katie Anderson March 13, 2013 at 10:58 am #

I am seriously jealous about this experience. I love Lulu Frost and I can’t believe you’re getting to work with her to create custom pieces. Great post – can’t wait to read the rest.

51. Monyale March 13, 2013 at 11:02 am #

Love this DIY its so inspiring. Lisa is so stylish and talented.
    Can’t wait to see more of your personal & designer DIYs.

Xx,

52. Lauren | Seventeenth & Irving March 13, 2013 at 11:49 am #

Such an amazing opportunity and series idea, Grace. I loved Lisa’s IFB keynote – she’s an incredible inspiration. How fun to have a sneak peek into her daily life!

53. Fabiola "Fab" March 13, 2013 at 10:41 pm #

What a wonderful post. I just love idea of transforming older pieces into something totally new and chic!

54. Lauren // thepearshape.com March 14, 2013 at 9:14 am #

This is SO cool! I have so many family heirlooms that I just don’t enjoy that I would love to turn into something beautiful and new. I will definitely have to shoot them an email. And also, it is so cool that she herself still made your earrings and did it all herself :)

Lauren
    thepearshape.com

55. Quinn Cooper March 14, 2013 at 10:37 am #

Love what a great series you are starting, I’m excited to see what’s next. I love Lulu Frost jewelry, I actually just bought the lips necklace with the pearl as teeth. Very excited to wear it. The earrings you made are gorgeous and thanks for letting us know about the service they provide with repurposing old jewelry.

Quinn Cooper Style

1. Hautelinks: Week of 3/14/13 | FFBlogs - March 14, 2013

[...] from Stripes + Sequins teamed up with Lulu Frost this week for her first-ever “Designer DIY”. Love the idea and the finished [...]

2. Hautelinks: Week of 3/14/13 | znests.com - March 15, 2013

3. Designer DIY: Lulu Frost Part 2 | Stripes & Sequins - March 15, 2013

[...] we dive into the project, Lisa and I came up with a fun little reader challenge!  As you know from Tuesday’s post… Lulu Frost will take your family heirlooms (or thrifted finds that you don’t really [...]

4. Casual Friday | Stripes & Sequins - June 21, 2013

[...] DIY Earrings (in collab w/Lulu Frost) // Celine Bag // NARS Lip Pencil in Palais Royal [...]

5. IN HER SPACE: Grace Atwood | College Fashion Trends and Style Tips - October 9, 2014

[…] as storage and makes your inspiration board look a bit more interesting. I got this idea from visiting the Lulu Frost showroom ages ago…her mood boards were so inspiring! Lastly, DIY! There are so many great projects out […]