February 26th, 2013

TRENCH_1

DIY: Venessa Arizaga inspired Tiered Chain Collar

TRENCH_1

This project was inspired by a necklace I saw by Venessa Arizaga.  (She’s been a huge source of inspiration lately… her stuff is just so good!)  It’s such an easy piece to wear… I really love how it looks with a great graphic tee (as pictured above) but it will dress up just as nicely.

RG-Necklace---MaterialsMaterials:  About 7-8 feet of curb chain // Three colors of embroidery floss // Pliers // Two large crimp cord ends // Two jump rings // Large Lobster Clasp // Needle (not pictured) // Sharp Scissors

RG-Necklace-1-6

RG-Necklace-7-12

RG-Necklace-12-16

Add a clasp to the other side, and you are done!

RG-Necklace---Final

RG-Necklace-Final-2

Top photo by Lydia Hudgens, all other photos by Stripes & Sequins

39 Responses to DIY: Venessa Arizaga inspired Tiered Chain Collar

1. Kimberly February 26, 2013 at 7:41 am #

This looks so expensive, Grace – I can’t believe you made it! Love!!

2. Lauren February 26, 2013 at 8:42 am #

so cute! i feel like we need to collaborate with you on some jewelry or perhaps a shop? :)

3. Drew @ Catfish & Caviar February 26, 2013 at 8:58 am #

Soooo excited for this. Saw something similar & it was pricey!

4. Alyssa February 26, 2013 at 9:07 am #

This is awesome! I have a long-standing infatuation with anything that has to do with friendship bracelet string (I’m sure it has a more official name than that…) left over from my camp days, so this is perfect.

5. ALISON February 26, 2013 at 9:16 am #

This is so pretty – the little bit of color is just perfect!

6. Emily February 26, 2013 at 9:16 am #

Love this, Grace! It’s so pretty, and the additions of the pink at the top is perfection.
    Isn’t That Charming.

7. Emma Finlayson February 26, 2013 at 9:32 am #

LOVE this. I am going to pin this so I can make on of my own. I think that I will use royal blue thread!

8. Jess February 26, 2013 at 9:33 am #

Love this! (Glad to see you’re back with a new DIY, by the way.) I bet it would look great with emerald or cobalt blue thread too. Did it take you very long to complete?

9. Robin February 26, 2013 at 10:03 am #

This is just brilliant!!!

10. Daisy February 26, 2013 at 10:07 am #

i love how crafty you are! this turned out great :)

& Pretty Things

11. Emily Lunstroth February 26, 2013 at 10:09 am #

This is so cute love it!

12. Alicia February 26, 2013 at 10:12 am #

Love the way you styled this one… you’re so good! PS: I miss you! xx

13. viv February 26, 2013 at 10:52 am #

Looks awesome!!

14. Chelsie February 26, 2013 at 11:16 am #

ohhh, ohh, ohhh! i love this!

15. alyson February 26, 2013 at 11:19 am #

wow, this looks so good (and pricey, too!). excited to see another one of your diy’s up.

16. Emily | Sparkle Meets Pop February 26, 2013 at 11:49 am #

What a fun and unique idea! I have a ton of this embroiders floss hanging around, so I wonder what else I can think of. As an aside, have you ever done a post about your favorite DIY/craft tools?

17. Erica February 26, 2013 at 12:11 pm #

love it!!

18. Elizabeth // The Now February 26, 2013 at 12:16 pm #

OK I think I am actually going to try this one. I went on a jewelry making rant like 5 years ago but ended up only buying supplies and not making anything so I may have most of these supplies at home. haha! Great DIY lady! xoxo

19. Erin @ Thanks, I Made It February 26, 2013 at 1:22 pm #

Nice! Love the graduated shades of pink with the brass.

20. Lia ~ Smart n Snazzy February 26, 2013 at 1:46 pm #

This came out so well and is so simple! Great job, Grace!
    xx
    Lia
    Smart n Snazzy

21. Valerie (Pieceful Wedding) February 26, 2013 at 2:18 pm #

Wow, this is absolutely amazing! What a great idea!

22. rita February 26, 2013 at 2:24 pm #

this is an amazing replication! it reminds me how much i loved the honestly wtf chain link/friendship bracelet thing from a few years ago too – i may need to try this! thanks!

23. Nikki Rappaport February 26, 2013 at 3:27 pm #

wow this is so cool. I have a few bracelets like this and I should totally try to make them myself. gorgeous, Grace!

24. Chic Out of Town February 26, 2013 at 5:57 pm #

I was hoping if you would like to follow each other on Google Friend Connect and other social sites.- Chic Out of Town

25. Kristina February 26, 2013 at 8:37 pm #

Great DIY, I love the embroidery thread!! It’s subtle but a really cute addition.

Kristina

Kristina does the Internets

26. Meredith & Gwyneth February 26, 2013 at 11:21 pm #

Love this! Definitely next up on my DIY list! Thanks for the tutorial!

xoxo,
    Meredith & Gwyneth

27. Lloyd and Wolf February 27, 2013 at 7:24 pm #

beautiful. would love to try this.

28. Janet February 28, 2013 at 10:31 am #

It looks so awesome, definitely gonna try this :)

29. Heidi {Dooley Noted Style} March 1, 2013 at 12:20 pm #

Love that necklace even though I am DIY challenged. The internet tee is such a great etsy find!

30. Sara April 3, 2013 at 1:34 pm #

So original and it seems easy! The problem will be to find the right chains… But I should give it a try :)

Kisses
    Dare To HAPPEN

31. Sapna July 21, 2013 at 9:42 pm #

This necklace is so great! Question, what size curb chain did you use on this one?

1. Hautelinks: Week of 2/28/13 | FFBlogs - February 28, 2013

[…] love this chain collar necklace DIY from Stripes + Sequins – super […]

2. Hautelinks: Week of 2/28/13Get Vietnam Visa on Arrival | Get Vietnam Visa - February 28, 2013

[…] adore this sequence collar necklace DIY from Stripes + Sequins – super […]

3. Hautelinks: Week of 2/28/13Get Vietnam Visa | Get Vietnam Visa - March 1, 2013

[…] adore this sequence collar necklace DIY from Stripes + Sequins – super […]

4. Hautelinks: Week of 2/28/13 ← Get Vietnam Visa in Hong Kong - March 1, 2013

[…] adore this sequence collar necklace DIY from Stripes + Sequins – super […]

5. Hautelinks: Week of 2/28/13 | znests.com - March 2, 2013

[…] love this chain collar necklace DIY from Stripes + Sequins – super […]

6. Weekend Reading | Stripes & Sequins - March 2, 2013

[…] had a fun DIY necklace up this week… stay tuned for Tuesday, have another good one in the […]

7. DIY: VENESSA ARIZAGA « WEAR TO CLICK - March 29, 2013

[…] the sparkle obsessed, spotlighting fashion and DIY. We couldn’t help but stop and adore her DIY: Venessa Arizaga inspired Tiered Chain Collar. From her DIY, Fashion, Style, Beauty and Lifestyle site categories, Grace sure knows how to […]

8. Casual Tiered DIY Chain Collar | Styleoholic - March 24, 2014

[…] This accessory will look perfect with t-shirts or casual dresses. You will need about 7-8 feet of curb chain, three colors of embroidery floss, pliers, two large crimp cord ends, two jump rings, large lobster clasp, needle and sharp scissors. At the beginning lay out your chains. Tie the two outer chains together. Thread your needle and slowly begin weaving the chains together. Firmly knot after about eight inches and snip the end. Weave the end through to the back. Tie on your second color. Begin weaving the two colors together. Finish off with a knot. Tie on your third color. Repeat the steps from before and finish off. Slide your finished necklace into the clamp. Read the rest of the tutorial here. […]