January 3rd, 2013

DIY Lizzie Fortunato inspired necklace

DIY: Lizzie Fortunato inspired Mixed Media Collar Necklace

DIY Lizzie Fortunato inspired necklace

While in LA a few weeks ago, I popped into the Jenni Kayne store (mostly just to ogle these flats) and was excited to see a gorgeous assortment of Lizzie Fortunato’s jewelry.  I came across this necklace and just fell in love with it.  I loved the combination of box chain, rope, pearls, and metal beads… I knew that I had to at least attempt recreating it on my own.  This project is certainly not my easiest one as it will take a bit of time, but if you can follow instructions, I swear… you can do it!  The end  result is pretty fabulous (if I do say so myself) and all of the materials (listed + linked below) can easily be found online.  Just have a little bit of patience and you will reap some pretty fab rewards!

collar-materials

Materials:  16-18 inches black rope // Greek Beads in four colors (I used turquoise, peach, hematite, and gold.)  // Pink Pearl Beads // Large Lobster Clasp // 2 Barrel Cord Ends // 4 Hematite Jump Rings // 2 crimper beads // 10 small rose gold plated beads // E6000 Glue // Fabric Glue // Tiger Tail Plastic Coated Wire // 4 Skeins Coral Embroidery Floss // Silver Craft Wire // 5 feet antiqued silver box chain

collar1-6-rev

collar---7-12

collar---13-18

collar---19-24rev

collar-25-30

DIY Lizzie Fortunato inspired Collar - Stripes & Sequins

Voila!  Like I said… a bit time-consuming, but sooo worth it.

Top photo by Lydia Hudgens, all others by Stripes & Sequins.

46 Responses to DIY: Lizzie Fortunato inspired Mixed Media Collar Necklace

1. meghan January 3, 2013 at 9:30 am #

lady, you never cease to amaze me with your DIYs. I am so impressed – the necklace is darling!

2. aini January 3, 2013 at 9:53 am #

WOW! it’s looks so simple but also beautiful. Definitely will be the next DIY to try out. Thank you for the amazing idea :D

3. Alyssa January 3, 2013 at 10:10 am #

I can’t believe how fantastic you are at this, Grace! I actually saw a similar piece recently that I fell in love with, so I might attempt making it myself instead! Where do you get all your supplies in NYC?

Grace Atwood January 3, 2013 at 2:33 pm #

I actually got all of these supplies online – mostly via Amazon! They are all linked in the post. :)

4. christin January 3, 2013 at 10:22 am #

there isn’t a chance in hell i’d finish this one. why can’t DIYs DIY themselves?

5. Stefanie // Life on the Squares January 3, 2013 at 10:46 am #

Wow, Grace! You are SO creative – this necklace almost looks identical to the Lizzie Fortunato… beautiful!

Happy New Year!

Stefanie
    Life on the Squares

6. Sarah January 3, 2013 at 11:03 am #

This is amazing! It looks just like the designer piece!

7. ashley January 3, 2013 at 11:12 am #

looks beautiful! and so fun to see lizzie’s name… i’ve never met her, but i’m friends with her bff, katie kime, who has a gorgeous home goods line!

8. Jamie January 3, 2013 at 11:13 am #

Wow, that turned out fabulous! How in the world do you have time for such complicated projects! haha

Jamie
    forevereightyone.blogspot.com

9. M. (Faded M Style) January 3, 2013 at 11:32 am #

That’s a beautiful necklace! It looks designer and store bought! You are so very talented, Grace! xo
    Best, M.

10. EBK Riley January 3, 2013 at 12:46 pm #

I love this! Thank you so much for sharing such a great project.

11. Elizabeth January 3, 2013 at 2:11 pm #

Geez Louise!!! Ahhhhmazing, lady!!! Xoxo

12. nancy @ adore to adorn January 3, 2013 at 2:19 pm #

This is one of my favorite DIY necklaces. I’m going to have to try and replicate!!
    Happy 2013!
    xo,
    nancy

13. Noemi January 3, 2013 at 3:13 pm #

If I look at the photos everything seems so easy… But I don’t know if I’m able!

14. Aimee January 3, 2013 at 5:10 pm #

So gorgeous! The colors turned out beautiful!

15. Erin @ Thanks, I Made It January 3, 2013 at 6:46 pm #

Love the mix of materials– I’ve been dying to DIY some Lizzie Fortunato too. Nice work Grace!

16. Chelsea January 3, 2013 at 8:26 pm #

So creative. The result is fantastic and it seems like it could be a great Sunday activity! Wear it with pride. xo

17. nerr January 3, 2013 at 8:50 pm #

most fabulous, ever.

18. Emily January 3, 2013 at 9:07 pm #

Love the mix of pearls, chain and fabric. Turned out fantastic!
    Isn’t That Charming.

19. victoria | vmac+cheese January 4, 2013 at 12:39 am #

Um, this necklace is flippin amazing. I love the colors!!!

20. Cassie January 4, 2013 at 10:36 am #

Seriously, Grace. This is amazing. I love that your DIYs always looks like something you could buy in a store (loving the Etsy shop, by the way). This might have to be my weekend project. I’ll let you know how it turns out!
    xx
    Cassie

More Mascara, Please

21. Alison January 4, 2013 at 7:33 pm #

This is just so pretty! Great job!

22. Beth January 5, 2013 at 12:56 pm #

This is really cool! And so ambitious. I’d be a unsure how to start something with so many layers but you made it look easy! :)

23. mel January 5, 2013 at 3:51 pm #

This necklace is adorable, but the ends look unfinished to me. Is there a way that the ends of each section (rope, braid, chain, beads) could meet up and be covered instead of hanging loose?

24. Rach xo January 7, 2013 at 7:43 pm #

wow thats beautiful. you are so talented!

25. brighton January 9, 2013 at 10:29 pm #

I know there are a lot of DIY blogs out there, but I really do think YOU and your blog is one of the VERY VERY VERY best (and elite!!!) among them all! You are SO creative and original – and I LOVE this DIY! Keep up the good work!

26. Erica January 16, 2013 at 1:37 pm #

this is so good!!!

27. carlyjcais January 21, 2013 at 11:10 pm #

This is amazingly beautiful, Grace! It looks so expensive too:-) Thanks so much for your tip about the larger box chain…I think the ones you used in this tutorial would indeed by perfect!
    xo
    Carly

28. Marie Parker March 11, 2013 at 8:28 am #

I love this mixed-media collar necklace! I would definitely do this with Swarovski crystals instead of pearls, and with a thick gold chain instead of black rope! I think my plans will equally be beautiful like this (featured)! I learned how to make beautiful jewelry by enrolling in the jewelry making classes by Dragonfly Designs (http://www.jewelrybydfly.com) here in South San Francisco. I’ve always dreamed of becoming an expert jewelry maker and entrepreneur someday. :)

29. Barbara April 16, 2013 at 4:23 am #

Omg!!! this is such amazing! cannot believe it’s diy! love it, it does look like a lot of work, great job in the end :)
    I also tried my own diy, starting with a collar necklace, please have a look at:

30. Judi July 7, 2013 at 8:00 am #

To be honest, I like yours more than the original.

31. Naomi Prinsloo October 25, 2013 at 9:20 pm #

I am a huge fan of multi-layer multimedia accessories! I’m so excited to include this (with a twist) to my collection. I enrolled in Dragonfly Designs (http://www.jewelrybydfly.com) to learn everything fashion crafts and jewelry making. I want to do great things too! And maybe a DIY blog too? Thanks for being an inspiration!

32. QACHESA February 12, 2014 at 6:52 am #

Love the color range & the fact that it’s so delicately simple yet chic nevertheless.

33. inez April 20, 2014 at 12:37 pm #

Criatividade fantástica.Parabens

1. new website « COLLEEN IMRIE - January 4, 2013

[...] stripesandsequins.com via Lauren on [...]

2. Outfit: Vintage Fur Collar | Stripes & Sequins - January 4, 2013

[...] 3.1 Phillip Lim Pashli Satchel // Lulu Frost Code Rings // DIY Necklace [...]

3. Lou What Wear | Style Spotting in Louisville - January 5, 2013

[...] * Grace from Stripes & Sequins kicked off the week right with her seriously helpful blogging tips and then had me pinning away with this necklace DIY. [...]

4. Brighton The Day | FRIDAY FIVE: JANUARY 11, 2013 - January 11, 2013

[...] of BHD eventually! Among many things, she’s known for her amazingly creative DIY projects and this week’s DIY post is definitely a [...]

5. This Week’s Favourites | Seri Marea - February 2, 2013

[...] you like big, bold statement necklaces, then this DIY collar necklace tutorial will be great for [...]

6. Hautelinks: Week of 1/3/13 | FFBlogs - February 14, 2013

[...] This DIY Lizzie Fortunato-inspired necklace, from Stripes + Sequins, is pretty much the perfect winter-to-spring transition piece. [...]

7. On Being “Crafty”…Or Not | mama art collective - February 22, 2013

[...] Necklace from Stripes and Sequins [...]

8. Best DIY Clothing Websites | Party Like A Billionaire - March 27, 2013

[...] -DIY Mixed Media Collar Necklace [...]

9. DIY NecklacesHandmade-Jewelry-Club - April 19, 2014

[…] jump ring setting, and Greek beads makes this necklace a truly unique statement piece. In this tutorial, you’ll find out how to craft your own lovely geometric statement necklace. The end product […]

10. The 7 Best DIY Fashion Blogs | Blog Origami - May 12, 2014