December 4th, 2012

BLUEVELVET_3

DIY: Velvet Hair Bow.

The holidays are the perfect time of year for velvet, and I loved the idea of making a fun, oversized bow to wear with my party dresses.  (Also,  a friend of mine really really wanted one, so I decided to make her a few.)  This project is fun and really easy… you’ll be surprised how easy it is, I promise!

Materials // Where to Buy:  About one yard of Velvet Ribbon (I used Midori’s luxe velvet ribbon – 1.5″ wide) // Large Metal Barrette // Fabric Glue (I used Aleene’s Jewel It, but any sort of tacky glue will do.)  // Thin 1/4″ Satin Ribbon // Glue Gun (not pictured)

Disclosure:  This post is brought to you by Midori Ribbon.

Top Photo by Lydia Hudgens, all other photos by Stripes & Sequins.

26 Responses to DIY: Velvet Hair Bow.

1. Rachel December 4, 2012 at 7:50 am #

These look so simple to make! They’d make a great stocking stuffer for my girl friends.

2. Emily December 4, 2012 at 8:58 am #

SUCH a lovely idea! This bow came out perfectly. Will definitely be doing this for a stocking stuffer!
    Isn’t That Charming.

3. Lynda December 4, 2012 at 9:27 am #

Too cute! Definitely need to try a bright red one for the holidays :)

x

4. Drew @ Catfish & Caviar December 4, 2012 at 9:35 am #

Love this DIY. These would make for a great stocking stuffer or some Christmas tree decor!

5. Alyssa December 4, 2012 at 10:00 am #

I’ve started making ribbons a lot recently, too! They’re so easy and such a fun, girly touch. I’m definitely going to reach for velvet next time!

6. christin December 4, 2012 at 10:28 am #

okay, this is probably the one DIY i actually will do. i need to get my paws on some ribbon and then i’ll be all set!

7. Ashley @ a {little} dash of ash December 4, 2012 at 10:35 am #

oh my gosh! i love!! i want a blue one like in your first photo! will i be able to find these on your new etsy shop?!

8. viv December 4, 2012 at 10:36 am #

So cute!

9. Sarah December 4, 2012 at 11:16 am #

What a cute idea! I’ve been wanting to incorporate velvet into my wardrobe without going overboard so this is PERFECT, subtle and adorable.

10. Emily December 4, 2012 at 11:25 am #

These are so perfectly you! I know I say this a lot, but I am definitely getting my DIY on and making these for the holidays…!

11. Tiffany December 4, 2012 at 12:44 pm #

Ahh adorable! I just love this for Christmas.

12. Melissa December 4, 2012 at 1:35 pm #

I love velvet this time of year, and this looks like something I could do. So adorable!

13. Megan O'Connor Mershon December 4, 2012 at 4:53 pm #

Oh my goodness I have to have one of these! I love bows. I wore one in a recent pot. If only I was crafty…

14. Abriezel December 4, 2012 at 4:56 pm #

I need to make these :) I would like to see them in different fabrics as well. In some stores out there bows like these cost $6 to $8 a piece.

15. Lia ~ Smart n Snazzy December 4, 2012 at 5:37 pm #

So pretty and fun, Grace! I especially love how you made two stacks of loops (if that makes sense lol), it makes it that much cuter. And velvet… swoon. Great job!
    xx
    Lia
    Smart n Snazzy

16. Chelsea December 4, 2012 at 5:42 pm #

I literally saw a little girl on tv today with this GIANT velvet bow and thought I need to make this. And then, voila! I mean… fate.

17. Abby December 4, 2012 at 6:37 pm #

perfect for christmas time!

18. Meg December 10, 2012 at 5:38 pm #

Cute! Will be mentioning on an upcoming blog post for DIY holidays outfit ideas :)

19. TJ December 21, 2012 at 5:07 pm #

Oh gosh, how am I just now finding your blog? You are absolutely adorable! And I really want to make this immediately :)
    xo TJ

20. Beth January 3, 2013 at 1:09 am #

Thanks for this great tip. I am always trying to match bows with outfits for my daughter. This will let me make something myself if nothing is available at the store that goes with an outfit… or even to do it much less expensively or better than what is available. I have such a thing for ribbon I am surprised I have never thought of this myself.

21. Kate March 3, 2013 at 9:19 pm #

By carefully following these instructions, I’m sure I could manage to make some of these cute velvet hair bows. They can be easily customized to match the outfit you are wearing. This is a clever idea to save money as well. Thanks for writing these easy to follow DIY steps.

22. jessica January 15, 2014 at 7:09 pm #

I love these hair bows! I also love the name of your site. My four year old is obsessed with hair accessories. I know she will love these!

1. DIY: Velvet Hair Bow | Midori Ribbon Bridal Blog - December 4, 2012

[…] every girl in the wedding party – from the bride to the flower girl! For the full DIY, visit Stripes and Sequins, and for Velvet in every color of the rainbow, visit MIDORI’s […]

2. Outfit: Velvet Accents | Stripes & Sequins - December 6, 2012

[…] Urban Outfitters.  I paired ‘em with my otherwise basic ensemble, fun earrings, and my DIY Velvet Hair Bow from this […]

3. Top 5 Ribbon DIYs « M&J Blog - February 6, 2013