December 11th, 2012

pompom-fina

DIY: Pom Pom Necklace

Last weekend, Alicia came over and we had a lovely time catching up over iced coffee + making pom poms.  (You can see what she did with hers here.)  Let me just tell you… a pom pom maker is a wonderful thing.  Lauren introduced me to it a while back but I had yet to actually do anything with mine.  I could sit for hours making pom poms.  It’s relaxing and a bit cathartic…  a great way to spend an afternoon with a friend.

You’ll need: Three different sized pom-pom makers.  (I used Clover’s small set and the smaller size of the large set.) // Yarn (I used this one, it’s so soft!)  // Chunky gold chain  // 2 Jump Rings // 1 Brass Lobster Clasp

27 Responses to DIY: Pom Pom Necklace

1. Laura December 11, 2012 at 8:55 am #

You can make a pompom with two bits of cardboard each in a ring shape, holding them together and wrapping the yarn around them both, then cutting the yarn as with the pompom maker and wrapping a thread or piece of yarn between the two cardboard rings (that’s if you don’t want to spend ten dollars on something you can get for free!)

Love the necklace!
    Laura x

2. Judy December 11, 2012 at 9:00 am #

So pretty, and so simple. I want to try!

3. Drew @ Catfish & Caviar December 11, 2012 at 9:26 am #

Never knew there was such thing as a pom pom maker! This necklace is adorable!

4. Chelsea December 11, 2012 at 9:27 am #

I like the juxtaposition of the pom pom and the chain! I am pretty obsessed with pom pom makers right now as well. They are just so satisfying. xo

5. Alyssa December 11, 2012 at 10:39 am #

I definitely need to get my hand on a pom pom maker…I never knew something so nifty existed!

Alyssa
    The Glossy Life

6. Christin December 11, 2012 at 11:20 am #

i want to make pom poms. i could knit them on things and take a year to finish them :)

7. Miro - Dose of Dash December 11, 2012 at 11:53 am #

I kind of just want to make pom poms… all day! Looks like so much fun and an easy way to dress up an old knit hat or scarf.

8. Kelly | Fabulous K December 11, 2012 at 12:39 pm #

Love, love, love! And neeeed a pom pom maker in my life for sure!

9. Erin @ Thanks, I Made It December 11, 2012 at 1:18 pm #

Great necklace, Grace! Love the pompoms with the big gold chain.

10. Julieta December 11, 2012 at 3:11 pm #

Wonderful Necklace, and that’s a great tool too! xoxo Julieta

11. Tamra {ever swoon} December 11, 2012 at 7:54 pm #

I love pom poms! My grandma used to crochet slippers for us with pom poms on top and they are my favorite ever. So, poms always put a smile on my face and remind me of her. I’ve got to get one of those contraptions to make poms! Thanks grace!

12. Rowena @ rolala loves December 11, 2012 at 9:16 pm #

This is so cute! I’m like obsessed with pom poms so this is right up my alley! Totally gonna pin and try to make. I have some hot pink yarn that would be great! Thanks!

13. Vikki December 12, 2012 at 8:18 am #

So charm necklace!

14. Amalia Morales December 12, 2012 at 8:46 am #

Me encanta el blog! la moda es arte, porque esta llena de creatividad, de buen gusto, y nos hace ser un poquito mas felices… En mi recien nacido blog no podia no estar la moda presente! y tu direccion en mis likns…

Enhorabuena, y sigue asi!

15. Elizabeth // The Now December 12, 2012 at 1:48 pm #

Adorable!!! The poms definitely make this necklace! Great job.

16. A Brit Greek December 13, 2012 at 4:25 am #

I just love this, so super fun! Thanks for stopping by lovely!
    x.o.x.o

17. Brynn {chartreuse & a twist} December 13, 2012 at 4:50 pm #

Okay…totally love that we are in pom-pom sync this week ;) your necklace came out SO cute!!! You are so fancy with your pom pom maker…and in varied sizes??!! I am feeling a little old fashioned over here with my fork method ;) ha! XO Brynn

18. brighton December 14, 2012 at 6:51 pm #

Grace! This is too cute! I love it! and so festive too!

19. Julie Leah December 15, 2012 at 7:03 pm #

Pom pom makers?!?! You continue to amaze me!! :)

xx

20. Eileen December 19, 2012 at 11:36 am #

The pom poms are so cute! where can i get pom pom makers?

Grace Atwood December 19, 2012 at 12:32 pm #

Hi Eileen, I linked to them in the post!

21. Camille Iman December 23, 2012 at 2:37 am #

What a great idea for a necklace, the blend of comfy yarn paired with hard metal is very cool!

22. Belinda December 25, 2012 at 9:27 pm #

In our local town, we don’t have a store that solely sells stuff for crafts. We don’t even have pom pom makers or Mod Podge for that matter. Now, I can just die in envy looking at this beautiful necklace.

Grace Atwood December 25, 2012 at 9:43 pm #

Hi Belinda,
      Luckily everything here can be purchased online! I linked to all of the materials at the bottom of the post :)

Grace Atwood December 25, 2012 at 9:43 pm #

*bottom of the materials photo!

23. Aimee December 26, 2012 at 2:27 pm #

Thanks for your comment Grace! I adore these pom-poms!! :)

<3 Aimee
    DIY Blog: http://www.swellmayde.com

1. Weekend Reading | Stripes & Sequins - December 15, 2012

[…] had two DIYs this week – a festive pom pom necklace and a pretty little cork tree […]