October 9th, 2012

catfinal1

DIY: Sequined Cat Sweater

Today I’ve teamed up with Honestly WTF for another sparkly DIY.  We’ve both been incredibly inspired by Markus Lupfer’s graphic sequined sweaters and decided to tackle our own versions… two very different ways.  Erica opted for a cartoon-esque bunny ear version, whereas I went in a completely (semi crazy?) different direction – taking a bright pastel sweater and adding a sequined cat.  It’s nothing like Lupfer’s original (though I tried my best to copy his overall pattern) but it’s so me.  I absolutely love how it turned out and have already worn it several times.  Read on for the (surprisingly easy) tutorial, and then be sure to stop by Honestly WTF to see how they did their version… trust me it’s good.

{My sweater is a bit more fitted than ML’s version, but you could very easily do this on a slouchier sweater.}

Materials / Where to Buy:  Sweater // Jewel It Glue // Assorted Sequins // Sharpie Marker

Start by drawing your design onto the sweater.  You’ll cover this up later with sequins, so don’t worry too much about being precise.  I find that it’s easiest to start in the center (in this case, the nose of the cat,) and work outwards.

Slowly begin covering small sections with glue and filling in with sequins.  Think of it as a paint by number.

Continue along, slowly adding your sequins… use tweezers where necessary (I found it really helped when tackling the whiskers!)

Don’t forget to stop by Honestly WTF to see how Erica’s amazing bunny ear sweater turned out!

P.S.  Though Jewel-It is washable, I still recommend taking this guy to the dry cleaner for cleanings… you just don’t want to risk it.  If you must machine wash, do so on the delicate cycle, and throw your sweater in a pillow case (knotting the end of the pillow case.)

28 Responses to DIY: Sequined Cat Sweater

1. PennyPincherFashion October 9, 2012 at 7:21 am #

This is so far beyond what I’m capable of, but I love it! :)

2. Anna Liesemeyer October 9, 2012 at 7:38 am #

Grace, this turned out amazing. What a fun collaboration, and can’t wait to see Erica’s version.
    Have a wonderful day~

3. Drew Elizabeth October 9, 2012 at 9:15 am #

omg this is great! Thanks for the DIY share!

4. Tierney October 9, 2012 at 9:39 am #

So cute!  I want to try this with a big leopard head!  (or a fox!)

5. christin schindewolf October 9, 2012 at 9:47 am #

MEOW!

6. kimberly @ twen-teen October 9, 2012 at 10:39 am #

So cute! Cats and fashion are my two favorite things, basically.

7. Julie & Lauren October 9, 2012 at 11:10 am #

Ok, you are too cute. I think it’s time you start selling this stuff. I would seriously buy!

8. Erica & Lauren October 9, 2012 at 11:32 am #

MEOW!!! Can’t wait for more DIY fun with you! xx

9. Viviana Carmona October 9, 2012 at 11:41 am #

I love it!!! Markus Lupfer sweaters are amazing but do cost a fortune so this is brilliant.

10. kristiina ^..^ October 9, 2012 at 5:06 pm #

Love it! I am going to make one for sure!

11. Smash October 9, 2012 at 6:12 pm #

So cute. I’m dying to try one.

12. Nicole Levine October 9, 2012 at 11:55 pm #

Um this is paw-fect! sorry i had to. :)

13. tanya_caines October 10, 2012 at 5:11 pm #

How cute!

14. Jordan - Queen of LA October 12, 2012 at 5:24 pm #

i mean… this is probably the cutest thing ive ever seen. just saying.

15. Lisa Harrold October 13, 2012 at 4:34 pm #

Adorable! I love Erica’s version too.

Sweaters and sequins – it’s a winning combination

16. Jessie October 16, 2012 at 8:37 am #

This is so amazing it’s RIDICULOUS! And you FREE-HANDED that cat?!?!  That’s where this project would fall apart for me, which is why I’ll be trying the same technique with a simple heart (that will end up looking like an abstract amoeba). ;) XOXO

17. Kara Endres October 16, 2012 at 11:13 am #

Cute!! Looks like the DIY sequin sweaters are catching on. Erica’s sweater is so cute too! Now we all match :)

18. Jamie October 22, 2012 at 11:34 am #

Oh my gosh this is SO cute! What a great DIY!

Jamie
    forevereightyone.blogspot.com

19. moncler pas cher October 26, 2012 at 12:45 am #

wow its great post.. welcome to visit my site: http://www.frdoudounem0ncler.com/

20. moncler pas cher October 26, 2012 at 6:12 pm #

I never thought I would agree with this opinion, but I’m starting to see things differently. welcome to visit my site: http://www.frdoudounem0ncler.com/

21. whooping cough symptoms October 27, 2012 at 5:43 pm #

Your website does not render appropriately on my iphone 4 – you may wanna try and repair that
    whooping cough symptoms http://whoopingcoughsymptomss.com

22. moncler donna October 31, 2012 at 1:26 pm #

Best wishes!Your blog is very good! visit mine site http://www.migliorepiuminimoncler.com/

1. DIY Sequined Sweater – Honestly WTF - October 9, 2012

[...] must admit when Grace, of Stripes & Sequins, suggested that we each try making our own Markus Lupfer-inspired [...]

2. DIY Purrfect Sequined Cat Sweater | Glam - October 11, 2012

[...] design the purrfect pullover for the occasion. Grab the sequins and the glue and get to it meow! Via Stripes and Sequins ._glam_RA_article{height:60px;} ._glam_RA_latest_post [...]

3. Outfit: Meow! - October 12, 2012

[...] Sweater // J.Crew Toothpick Jeans // Kate Spade Shoes // Celine Sunglasses [...]

4. DIY Sequined Sweater | Signorina.co - November 18, 2012

[...] must admit when Grace, of Stripes & Sequins, suggested that we each try making our own Markus Lupfer-inspired [...]

5. Lanys Linkage: DIY Christmas Present Tutorials! (Also totally a last minute present idea list) « - December 21, 2012

[...] inspired two tutorials on Honestly WTF and Stripes & Sequins which are both amazing, would make amazing presents for friends/siblings/funky [...]

6. The Ultimate Guide to DIY-ing: 10 Tools You Need to Become a Pro | The Stylitics Report - January 15, 2014

[…] Get the steps to these creative DIYs (clockwise):  P.S. I Made This , Plan B, Stripes & Sequins […]