September 11th, 2012

router

DIY: Eddie Borgo inspired Router Jewelry

I know that I say a lot of my DIY projects are easy, but today’s is seriously, incredibly easy.  Eddie Borgo is one of my favorite jewelry designers and when I saw this necklace and these earrings, I knew I’d hit the DIY-spiration gold mine.  All you need is some strong glue, routers from the hardware store, some endcaps, and some brute force (or a heavy duty bolt cutter in my case.)  I strung my pendant onto a 24″ silver chain as I’ve been really into mixing metals… but you could make yours into earrings, string it onto an either longer necklace, or go shorter.  I also love wearing two different size pendants at once.

Naturally, I paired my necklace with a navy striped t-shirt dress.  But this little guy goes with absolutely everything.  I particularly like pairing it with preppy + ladylike ensembles to add a little edge.

Full tutorial + steps after the break.

Materials / Where to Buy:

Assorted Brass Wood Screws.  I used Sizes #8 x 2″, 12 x 2.5″, #10 x 3″, and #12 x 2″ // 4mm Barrel Cord Ends (The Eddie Borgo ones are hematite, so get that if possible) // Bolt Cutters // Small Jump Rings + Chain //E6000 Glue

Step 1 – Cut off the head of your screw using the bolt cutters.

Step 2 – Dip your headless screw into a healthy amount of E6000 glue.

Step 3 - Press router firmly into the base of the endcap, and allow to dry.

When dry, attach to a jump ring to make a pendant, or ear wires to make earrings.

37 Responses to DIY: Eddie Borgo inspired Router Jewelry

1. Melanie September 11, 2012 at 6:40 am #

What a cool and unique idea.  It got me thinking it might be fun to do multiple ones in varying sizes on one necklace to really make a statement…  Might just have to try this!

MelanieStyle to Stage

Grace Atwood September 11, 2012 at 2:06 pm #

That’s how I’ve been wearing mine!  I love them, so much… and since the project is so easy you can make a bunch at a time.

2. Taylor Curlyinthecity September 11, 2012 at 10:00 am #

So Fun!!! And I totally agree mixing preppy with an edge. That is my style summed up! See this is why we are great friends – twinsies! :)

Grace Atwood September 11, 2012 at 2:06 pm #

yay for being twinsies.  now just come play in new york! xo

3. christin schindewolf September 11, 2012 at 10:53 am #

AJ could TOTALLY do this.

Grace Atwood September 11, 2012 at 2:02 pm #

totally.  just get him some bolt cutters

4. tomorrowtodayblog September 11, 2012 at 11:32 am #

love this necklace! i wonder if home depot would cut some screws down for me so i don’t have to buy a bolt cutter! will let you know!

Grace Atwood September 11, 2012 at 2:01 pm #

That is a great idea!  I would try a local hardware store as the service will probably be better but I bet they’d do it!

5. The Avg Girl Guide September 11, 2012 at 1:19 pm #

Very cool; it certainly does look easy!

Grace Atwood September 11, 2012 at 2:02 pm #

it really truly is! ;)

6. Fashionresidence.com September 11, 2012 at 2:11 pm #

This is a great DIY!

Grace Atwood September 11, 2012 at 2:31 pm #

thank you!!

7. Erica September 11, 2012 at 3:46 pm #

Gotta love an easy project!  :)

Grace Atwood September 11, 2012 at 4:41 pm #

Me too!  I hope you give it a try! :)

8. tanya_caines September 11, 2012 at 5:42 pm #

Such a cool idea, never would have thought of this!

Grace September 11, 2012 at 6:25 pm #

Aw, thanks Tanya!

Grace Atwood September 11, 2012 at 8:19 pm #

thank you so much!  Hope you try it!!

9. Rinchen Dé (HIGHonDIY.com) September 11, 2012 at 7:37 pm #

simple & chic!

Grace Atwood September 11, 2012 at 8:19 pm #

:) :)

10. Erin @ ThanksIMadeIt September 11, 2012 at 9:02 pm #

I love hardware DIYs! Looks great as a long pendant.

Grace Atwood September 11, 2012 at 11:33 pm #

thank you, Erin! xx

11. lexi September 11, 2012 at 9:57 pm #

Seriously love this, though I’m not sure a heavy duty bolt cutter is in my future!

Grace Atwood September 11, 2012 at 11:34 pm #

Aw so glad!  Honestly, you’d be shocked at how much I use mine.  Absolutely love it – so useful!

12. victoria | vmac+cheese September 12, 2012 at 12:09 am #

I love the idea of this ‘tough as nails’ jewelry (kind of literally) paired with something really light and feminine, or soft. Like a white or blush Equipment blouse…which PS, I still need to buy.

Grace Atwood September 12, 2012 at 4:44 pm #

I agree on both fronts – they’d look great together… and you need one! xoxo

13. 2nd Funniest Thing September 12, 2012 at 6:11 am #

Love your proposal! I’ll definetely try to make this!
    Thanks for sharing and kisses from Barcelona

Marta
    2ndfunniestthing.blogspot.com
    DIY & unique pieces

Grace Atwood September 12, 2012 at 4:44 pm #

I’m so glad you liked the post!  If you make it, I’d love to see a photo!

14. gameday stylist September 13, 2012 at 12:02 am #

Such a cute idea!
    – Sara @ Gameday Stylist

Grace Atwood September 13, 2012 at 7:59 pm #

Thanks Sara!  It’s such a fun / easy project :) xx

15. Joyce September 15, 2012 at 12:53 am #

did you have to file down the end or anything? (knowing me I’d stab myself with it lol! or catch threads on my clothes haha)

graceatwood September 26, 2012 at 6:00 pm #

I didn’t! You could if you were really worried but I haven’t found that it’s too sharp :)

1. Hautelinks: Week of 9/13/12 - September 13, 2012

[…] Cute way to use hardware for bling: Stripes + Sequins does an Eddie Borgo-Inspired Router Necklace. […]

2. hallpassonthat.com » Blog Archive » Hautelinks: Week of 9/13/12 - September 14, 2012

3. Hautelinks: Week of 9/13/12 | Fashion Tooth by Fashion *T* Daily News - September 14, 2012

4. Outfit: Stripes + Bows - September 17, 2012

[…] Gap Dress // gifted Rebecca Minkoff Bag // DIY Necklace […]

5. Cheetah is the new black - November 16, 2013

[…] getting her makeup done. My friend Grace gave me these cool Eddie Borgo inspired nails (see her tutorial here) that I plan to wear on a simple chain. Also excited about my Cynthia Rowley beetle ring (from Rue […]

6. Best DIY Clothing Websites | Party Like A Billionaire - January 10, 2014