August 28th, 2012

FINAL FINAL

DIY: Woven Chain Collar Necklace

The best kind of crafts are crafts with friends, which is why today’s DIY is extra special… a little collaboration with my pals at Honestly WTF.   A few weeks ago, I flew out to San Francisco.  From there, we drove up to Nevada City for a weekend of crafting in the woods.  Our first project was a woven chain collar necklace.  What I love about it is that we both put such a different spin on the project.  I went with bright colors and chunky yarn, whereas Erica used a more delicate curb chain and embroidery floss.  I absolutely love how each necklace turned out… it was fun to see how we each put our own personal spin on the project.  Make sure you get over to Honestly WTF to see Erica’s version – it’s truly stunning!

I loved the way the gray, brown, and pink yarns look together.   It’s a great project to make for Fall, as it will look amazing paired with wool sweaters and chunky knits.

Materials  / Where to Buy:  Curb Chain in three different sizes // 6mm Rhinestone Chain – Ebay is an amazing resource for this! // Yarn in three different colors  (We used this one from Lion Brand) // 3 strand clasp // 6 5mm Jump Rings

Don’t forget to swing over to Honestly WTF to see Erica’s more delicate version, right this way!

59 Responses to DIY: Woven Chain Collar Necklace

1. hannah August 28, 2012 at 7:26 am #

Grace! I love this necklace! I cant wait to try it out

graceatwood August 31, 2012 at 1:05 pm #

thank you, Hannah!

2. Elizabeth Schneider August 28, 2012 at 8:13 am #

Both designs are gorgeous! I love that theirs can be a bit dressier but yours makes more of a statement. So fun.

graceatwood August 31, 2012 at 1:05 pm #

Exactly – it was so much fun to see how we each took similar supplies and came up with something so different. I love both, so much.

3. Tierney August 28, 2012 at 8:47 am #

Cuteeeee.  I want to try this with red and navy!

graceatwood August 31, 2012 at 1:06 pm #

Oh you must! Would be very you!! xx

Grace Atwood August 28, 2012 at 12:39 pm #

I have to disagree with you, Alyssa.  While I absolutely love the necklace you link to, what differentiates the necklaces that Erica and I made is that our chain is woven together, resulting in our necklaces being one solid piece… whereas the necklace you link to leaves the chains loose!  Thanks for sharing… I wasn’t familiar with MISS until you linked to them!

4. Deryl Jenkins August 28, 2012 at 10:55 am #

Luv it!

graceatwood August 31, 2012 at 1:06 pm #

thanks, Deryl!

5. Elizabeth August 28, 2012 at 11:49 am #

Will you just be my personal jewelry maker!?!? You are amazing!! I’ve got to go see Erica’s too! xoxo Elizabeth

P.S. Swirl and The Now are hosting a  J. Crew Gift Card Giveaway make sure to enter!!

graceatwood August 31, 2012 at 1:06 pm #

Haha you are too sweet. Glad you liked it!

6. Deana W. August 28, 2012 at 11:56 am #

This turned out so beautiful, I love it!

graceatwood August 31, 2012 at 1:06 pm #

Thanks, Deana!

7. Fee_DP August 28, 2012 at 1:16 pm #

Your little tip with that tape is amazing, I always find myself struggeling whenever I am using yarn! Thanks
    Fee xx

graceatwood August 31, 2012 at 1:06 pm #

It really makes it so much easier!!!

8. Erica & Lauren August 28, 2012 at 1:29 pm #

can’t wait to have another DIY rendezvous with you again soon!! xoxo

graceatwood August 31, 2012 at 1:07 pm #

ME TOO!!!

9. Alyson August 28, 2012 at 1:44 pm #

Absolutely love the final result and that last picture of you is so pretty. Your eyes are such a pretty hue of blue. :)

graceatwood August 31, 2012 at 1:07 pm #

Aw, you are too sweet. xo

10. Erin @ ThanksIMadeIt August 28, 2012 at 3:36 pm #

Nice work lady! That last photo is so pretty : )

graceatwood August 31, 2012 at 1:07 pm #

Aw, thanks Erin! xo

11. Emily Lunstroth August 28, 2012 at 4:33 pm #

so so cute need to get on this asap!

graceatwood August 31, 2012 at 1:07 pm #

I hope you do it!! x

12. tanya_caines August 28, 2012 at 6:02 pm #

Love the necklace, you’re so beautiful too! wow x

graceatwood August 31, 2012 at 1:07 pm #

Aw, thank you!

13. Fashion-isha August 29, 2012 at 12:53 am #

It’s gorgeous..I just pinned it! But it looks like a lot of work!
    xo
    Sharon

graceatwood August 31, 2012 at 1:08 pm #

It’s a bit of work, but the end result is so worth it!!

14. Sara B August 29, 2012 at 2:03 am #

So pretty! Both of you! Love it and thanks for the sources for your materials, I was surprised how much more affordable they were than I thought. Glad you had such a fun trip! xo

graceatwood August 31, 2012 at 1:08 pm #

Aw, thanks Sara! I know – the materials really weren’t too bad, cost-wise!

15. inhonorofdesign August 29, 2012 at 7:50 am #

Completely fabulous! Great collab! That is a weekend that I need to try sometime -all DIY:D

graceatwood August 31, 2012 at 1:08 pm #

Thanks, Anna! xoxo

16. Chrissy August 29, 2012 at 4:20 pm #

Absolutely love this! Such a great idea. xx

adahliavolk.com

graceatwood August 31, 2012 at 1:08 pm #

Thanks, Chrissy!

17. Jordan - Queen of LA August 29, 2012 at 6:47 pm #

you look GORGEOUS! love the necklace!

graceatwood August 31, 2012 at 1:09 pm #

Aw, thanks Jordan! Heart you!

18. Prettybluerose August 30, 2012 at 10:21 am #

I’m lovin your sweater! cute!

prettybluerose.com

graceatwood August 31, 2012 at 1:09 pm #

thanks!

19. and-mary September 17, 2012 at 7:24 am #

it is so beautiful!! I would love to make one myself.
    The problem is, that I don’t quite understand the description on the curb chains.
    Which size did you use? Could you maybe send an exact link to those you used? Or do you now which chain size honestlywtf used?
    Hope you’ll answer.

xoxo Marie

graceatwood October 1, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

Thank you! I used three different types of curb chain. I think the most important part is that you use three sizes… a small, medium, and large. We both linked to where to buy the chain in our posts… it’s from Meteliferous!

20. barefoot duchess blog September 21, 2012 at 9:59 am #

amazing! you are so talented!! loved the photos =)

graceatwood October 1, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

Aw, so happy you liked it!

21. Willi January 28, 2013 at 12:01 pm #

Love it and loves your friend’s necklace too!

22. Willi January 28, 2013 at 12:02 pm #

Love it and love your friend’s necklace too!

23. cindy April 27, 2013 at 10:00 am #

I absolutely LOVE this! I assembled all my supplies last night and I’m anxious to get started.

24. Clare May 2, 2013 at 5:25 pm #

So I bought the .129 curb chain but it seems kinda small but it looked like that was the biggest kind on Meteliferous, but yours looks a lot thicker what kind did you use? also it seems redder then yours didn’t you use the brass one? please reply

Grace Atwood May 3, 2013 at 12:48 pm #

Hi Clare, I bought my chain at NY Beads in Manhattan. I’m sorry – the Meteliferous was the closest match I could find online! You might want to try looking at your local bead store and showing them a pic? Hope that helps.

• Clare May 3, 2013 at 8:27 pm #

Okay thanks i think the chain I got will work, but It was just smaller than I imagined but it will work

25. Susan July 10, 2013 at 10:27 am #

Just wondering how well the chain holds up – does it start to turn colors?

Grace Atwood July 10, 2013 at 10:27 am #

It depends what kind of chain you use – if you buy good quality brass curb chain it won’t!

26. Cat July 23, 2013 at 10:14 pm #

I loved this tutorial thank you so much for posting it!! I ordered the chains from metalliferous and the chains are nothing like the ones they show in the website, they are ridiculously small and the color is more copper than brass! Just thought I’d let you know so you could take it down before more people make the same mistake I did

1. DIY Woven Chain Collar Necklace – Honestly WTF - August 28, 2012

[…] weaving the components together to make our own collar necklaces. It was fun to see how wonderfully different the pieces turned out  – each so fabulous in their own unique way! Honestly, isn’t that the […]

2. Hautelinks: Week of 8/30/12 - August 30, 2012

[…] love, love, love this woven chain necklace from Stripes + Sequins, and the Honestly WTF version, too – we’ve […]

3. Chain necklace | Pearltrees - September 16, 2012

[…] < Necklace < DIY < be creative < fabienne_b Get flash to fully experience Pearltrees Woven Chain Collar Necklace August 28, 2012 The best kind of crafts are crafts with friends, which is why today’s DIY is […]

4. Solid Color Collared - November 4, 2012

[…] is best. Hoodies – Swap them for casual collared shirts, plaid flannels, cotton sweaters, DIY: Woven Chain Collar Necklace | Stripes + Sequins Our first project was a woven chain collar necklace. What I love about it is that we both put such […]

5. Rhinestone Necklace (DIY Inspo) | - November 18, 2012

[…] Via : Honestly WTF, Studs and Pearls, Honestly WTF, Stripes and Sequins, Stripes and Sequins, A girl a […]

6. Lou What Wear | Style Spotting in Louisville - January 17, 2013

[…] […]

7. DIY Woven Chain Collar Necklace | DIY - July 13, 2013

[…] Start by laying two pieces of curb chain side by side. Tie on 4 feet of embroidery floss into a double knot to the end of the left chain, leaving at least a foot of extra slack. Thread the floss through the top of the first link of the right chain. Thread the floss under the first link on the left side and through the top of the 2nd link on the right side. Continue this weaving pattern. I find it easy to hold the chains up together while threading the floss back and forth. Tie a knot at the end. Alight a third piece of chain against the 2 woven chains. I chose to add a smaller piece here. Using a different color flow, weave the floss around the first few links – again leaving about a foot of extra slack. Weave the chain into the necklace using the same technique. Continue weaving and tie a knot at the end. Now align the rhinestone chain along the necklace. Tie a knot onto the chain. Start wrapping the rhinestones onto the chain but going under the first joint of the rhinestone chain and over the top of the first curb chain link. Keep the necklace curved while attaching the rhinestone chain. This will prevent the necklace from buckling. Depending on the size of the rhinestone chain compared to the chain, a few links may have to be skipped in order to maintain the shape of the necklace. Tie a knot at the end. Cut several 2 feet strands of floss and thread them through the ends of the necklace. Tie a single knot. Repeat on the other side. Your necklace is now adjustable and finished!! Be sure to check out how Grace made a bolder version, using thick and coloful yarn, right this way! […]

8. Diy Multi Chain Necklace Ideas « Diy decorating and crafts – EnjoyCrafting.com - February 6, 2014

[…] Source […]