July 9th, 2012

IMG_9733

DIY: Diamond Friendship Bracelets

The diamond friendship bracelet seems so much trickier than it actually is.  I don’t know why I put off learning it for so long (last week,) but now I can’t stop making them.  As with everything, practice makes perfect, but if you spend an afternoon perfecting your craft, you’ll soon be making them with your eyes closed.  And once you perfect the six strand bracelet, you can move along to thicker bracelets.  (I made the pink + white one below using eight strands – 6 white and 2 pink!)

{Also pictured:  DIY Chain Friendship Bracelet and Gorjana Evil Eye.}

Just two caveats before we dive in – I’d recommend that you first be well versed in the chevron bracelet, (Honestly WTF did a really thorough tutorial,) and that you pay close attention when I explain the difference between a right knot and a left knot.

materials

Materials:  Safety Pin // Pillow // Embroidery Floss // Scissors

1.  Cut off three strands of embroidery floss; 72 inches long.  Fold in half, and tie a knot.  // 2.  Pin your strands to your pillow.  // 3.  Neatly separate all of your strands.  The color that you want to be the border color should be in the middle.  // 4.  Tie a left knot with the center strands.  To tie a leftt knot, you essentially make a four with your embroidery floss, crossing the strand on the left over the strand on the right and looping it through.  For every knot, you actually knot the strands twice.

5.  Your bracelet will look like this.  // 6.   Move along to the right side of your bracelet, tying a left knot over the next color of floss.  // 7.  Then, tie a left knot over the third color of floss.  // 8.  It will look like this.

9.  Next, you’ll move along to the right side, tying a right knot with the first color over the second color.  A right knot is basically the reverse of the left knot… you make a “P” shape, crossing the right strand over the left.  // 10.  Then, tie a right know with the first color over the third color.  // 11.  It will look like this.  // 12.  Next, tie a left knot with the new center strands, using the second color.

13.  Tie a left knot with the second color, over the third color.  // 14.  Move to the opposite side and tie a right knot with the second color, over the third color.  Then, take the two strands of the second color, and tie a left knot.  // 15.  Starting at the edge of the bracelet on the elft side, tie two left knots using the first color.  // 16.  Move to the right side and tie two right knots, suing the first color.

17.  Take the two strands of the first color, and tie a left knot.  // 18.  You’ve made your first diamond… it will look like this.  // 19.  Move over to the left side.  Take your third color, and tie one right knot, using your third color.  // 20.  Move over to the right side, and tie a left knot using the third color.  You’ve completed the sequence.

21.  Continue making diamonds, following the above steps.  // 22.  It will look like this!  // 23.  When you have braided the desired length, separate your strands.  // 24.  Braid the ends, and you are done!

45 Responses to DIY: Diamond Friendship Bracelets

1. christin schindewolf July 9, 2012 at 7:58 am #

i want oonnneeee.

graceatwood July 9, 2012 at 3:55 pm #

You have one now!

2. AvgGirlsGuide July 9, 2012 at 8:15 am #

Sooo cute! Need to check out the chevron ones as well from Honestly WTF.

graceatwood July 9, 2012 at 3:55 pm #

Yes you do! It’s such a fun + easy project :)

3. Elizabeth Schneider July 9, 2012 at 8:55 am #

Ok I am buying some string and reverting back to my swimming days where I braided 10 bracelets in between every race. I never learned the diamond knot, so happy you did the tutorial!

graceatwood July 9, 2012 at 3:55 pm #

Yay! Do it!!!

4. Viviana Carmona July 9, 2012 at 11:16 am #

You are seriously amazingly creative!

graceatwood July 9, 2012 at 3:56 pm #

Aw, thanks Viv!

5. Thenowstylebook July 9, 2012 at 1:03 pm #

WOW! Thanks for another great DIY! xoxo Elizabeth

graceatwood July 9, 2012 at 3:56 pm #

Thank you Elizabeth! I hope you give it a try!

6. Paulina Goriot July 9, 2012 at 3:06 pm #

lovely, I think i’m gonna put some small skull in the middle, hopw it works though!

graceatwood July 9, 2012 at 3:56 pm #

Ooh that sounds like a brilliant idea!

7. Notyouraveragebeachbum July 9, 2012 at 4:22 pm #

I love these!! While I was mildly distracted by your amazing manicure, I’m definitely going to have to try these.

graceatwood July 9, 2012 at 4:31 pm #

Haha – it’s CND Shellac in Tutti Frutti. Love Shellac, it doesn’t chip and I’m so rough on my hands with all the crafts! I hope you give the bracelet a try, it’s a fun project!

8. Whitney cosgrave July 9, 2012 at 4:36 pm #

so cute!! thanks for sharing!

graceatwood July 9, 2012 at 4:37 pm #

I’m glad you liked it, Whitney! I hope you give the project a try!

9. Anna Liesemeyer July 9, 2012 at 6:14 pm #

Ohh very fun! The colors are fantastic:)

graceatwood July 10, 2012 at 11:47 am #

So glad you like it, Anna! xx

10. Kaitlyn Andrews-Rice July 9, 2012 at 7:38 pm #

You have totally brought me back to the good ‘ole days of 10 and 11 when I was the queen of making friendship bracelets! Nothing used to bring me more joy than filling up the plastic containers with supplies. Definitely going to try this.
    Kaitlyn, http://www.blueroomswhitehouses.com

graceatwood July 10, 2012 at 11:48 am #

Yay! Would love to see a pic of your bracelets if you do it… I miss those days. :)

11. Kristin & Megan July 9, 2012 at 7:48 pm #

So pretty! Your DIYs always make me feel like I could actually pull them off!

graceatwood July 10, 2012 at 11:48 am #

That’s because you can!! I hope you try it. :)

12. Molliee Martin July 9, 2012 at 8:32 pm #

super fun for summer – love it!

graceatwood July 10, 2012 at 11:48 am #

Thanks Molliee, I hope you try it!

13. Elizabeth Fassbender July 9, 2012 at 10:36 pm #

I used to love doing these when I was younger and I totally need to start again! Such a great DIY Grace!

graceatwood July 10, 2012 at 11:49 am #

Thanks Liz! I think it’s time for you to break out the embroidery floss again!!!

14. lara / the glossarie. July 13, 2012 at 4:40 pm #

you are bringing me back to summer days by the west ford swim & tennis club! i had two embroidery floss kits FULL of thread. too fun!

graceatwood July 13, 2012 at 5:26 pm #

aw, so fun! Time to break them out again!!!

15. Morgan S July 15, 2012 at 1:10 pm #

This was easier than it looked! for the first diamon i had it confused and essed up but after that my bracelet came out perfect(: thanks for sharing it!

graceatwood July 15, 2012 at 11:04 pm #

Thanks Morgan! I felt the same exact way – my first few diamonds were a little messy but then it got much easier!!

16. I-nieves August 19, 2012 at 12:38 am #

i would like to know what brand is that floss and whete can i get it. Thank you

17. Sweetpea October 25, 2012 at 6:24 pm #

i couldn’t follow  but is so pretty y you could probably sell it

18. viky August 1, 2013 at 8:14 am #

You need to explain it better, I didn’t understand at all

Grace Atwood August 1, 2013 at 11:23 am #

Really? Which part did you not understand?

19. Jackie Conley February 16, 2014 at 10:16 am #

How do you close it, I mean clasp it? It looks like there are two loops. Maybe Im missing something. Btw, I missed the frindship bracelet craze. I was not really doing much crafting at the time and my daughter was not interested. A friend gave me one once with a butyon on one end that went through the loop. Is that how you close them?

1. Hautelinks: Week of 7/12/12 | Varsity Team - July 12, 2012

[...] + Sequins shows you how to make a diamond friendship bracelet. I remember making these as a [...]

2. Hautelinks: Week of 7/12/12 | Off Campus Guide - July 13, 2012

3. Hautelinks: Week of 7/12/12 - July 15, 2012

4. DIY: Diamond Friendship Bracelets - July 17, 2012

[...] DIY: Diamond Friendship Bracelets [...]

5. American Girl Crafts? Debuts Its First-Ever Girl of the Year? Craft Kits | wholesale online costume jewelry stores, gold, diamonds, rings - July 18, 2012

[...] Clifton, N.J. (PRWEB) June 28, 2012 American Girl Crafts? introduces premiere craft projects and su…irl?. [...]

6. my bracelets | Pearltrees - August 23, 2012

[...] Diamond Friendship Bracelets June 4, 2012 As you know from this and this , I just can’t stop making friendship bracelets! They look so good mixed + matched, piled high… adding the perfect, summery pop of color to whatever it is that you’re wearing. Today’s bracelet is a bit more blingy than the others I’ve made so far… and if you’d like, you could make it the more conventional way (using a clasp + jump ring vs. string…) or even make a necklace! There are so many ways to get creative with this project. For extra credit, try it using resin or tortoise links. [...]

7. 20 Blogs with Instructions for Making Your Own Jewelry for Teacher Gifts | Find A Nanny - March 14, 2013

[...] DIY: Diamond Friendship Bracelets Using only embroidery floss you can knot your own bracelet in no time. [...]

8. Top Secret Sources for Easy Instructions for DIY Jewelry Making | Fancy That Jewelry Design - September 3, 2013

[…] DIY: Diamond Friendship Bracelets Using only embroidery floss you can knot your own bracelet in no time. […]

9. Narukvice prijateljstva | Skroz ja! - July 29, 2014

[…] Takođe od konca, sa motivom dijamanata (romboida). Uputstvo na: http://www.stripesandsequins.com/2012/07/diy-diamond-friendship-bracelets.html […]