June 6th, 2012

for DIY post

DIY: S+S x Paige Denim Ombre Denim

Ombre denim is everywhere right now.  Look to any DIY blog worth it’s salt and there are dip dyes galore.  But buckets (at least indoors,) can be so intimidating!  Today, I’ve partnered up with one of my absolute favorite denim brands, Paige Denim, to show another way to achieve the ombre look… no bucket required! (I don’t know about any of you, but living in New York and not having a back yard, a bucket full of dye or bleach would be one massive disaster.)  We’ll get the same look (possibly better as this gives you more control,) using spray bottles (each filled with a different level of dye.)  It’s still messy, but it’s a bit more approachable for those of us without an outdoor workspace!  I did this (very carefully) in my window ledge, but you could do it in your bath tub or on your kitchen floor – so long as you are careful.

{Also featured:  Rebecca Minkoff Bag (c/o,) Sam Edelman Heels}

Where to buy:  Paige Denim White Skyline Ankle Peg Jeans // Spray Bottles // Rit Dye

1.  Soak your denim in warm water.  // 2.  Lay flat (I used two garbage bags in my windowsill ledge to protect the window and ensure my pants did not get dirty.  // 3.  Spray on your strongest dye (my strongest dye was about 1.5 Tbsp of dye mixed with 10 oz. water! // 4.  Flip over (very carefully,) and repeat.

5.  Spray on your medium level dye (use about half as much dye as the first time around.)  // 6.  Blend, by spraying more of your level 2 dye over the dye you’ve already sprayed – resulting in an ombre effect.  // 7.  Flip over and repeat.  // 8.  Spray on your weakest level of dye (this is just a few drops of dye mixed in with water.)  When you are done with that, flip over and repeat.

Once you’ve finished, allow to dry for 24 hours.  Then, wash (no detergent,) on cold.  I found that one of the (sort of awesome) side effects was that the dye bled into the bottom, leaving them a lilac color.  I loved this but if you don’t want it to happen to yours, add salt to your dye, and give your jeans an extra 24 hours to dry before washing.

Voila, you are done… enjoy your ombre denim!

48 Responses to DIY: S+S x Paige Denim Ombre Denim

1. Harriet Cochrane June 6, 2012 at 6:23 am #

This looks so amazing! I definitely want to try and do this<3

Take a peak at my blog<3?

?Project Rattlebag

xx

2. sharon lei June 6, 2012 at 6:33 am #

Definitely a great DIY! I just did dipped dyed a denim vest… it came out pretty amazing.  I want to bleach everything now! LOL.  I’ll have to give this technique a try for sure. :)

xx Love & Aloha

3. Roxanne D'souza June 6, 2012 at 7:45 am #

Fabulous!!! I love all you DIYS!

4. RealGirlGlam June 6, 2012 at 8:07 am #

Those look so good (loving the shoes too!) and I love that you did it without a bucket. I think this way is easier for ombre. Great DIY as always!

5. Alex (Things That Sparkle) June 6, 2012 at 8:49 am #

They turned out perfectly. Absolutely loooove!

6. Viviana Carmona June 6, 2012 at 9:05 am #

So fabulous!!!!!

7. Liz {Sequins & Stripes} June 6, 2012 at 9:29 am #

Amazing!

8. Erika [small shop] June 6, 2012 at 10:07 am #

Whoa! This is way cool! I just bought those exact jeans! I love them, they fit great.
    Obsessed with your Rebecca Minkoff bag…lucky girl!
    Well, also the shoes. ;0)

9. Ritafashiondays June 6, 2012 at 10:08 am #

love love love, I wish you could make one for me too!! :)
    http://ritafashiondays.blogspot.com / http://ritafashiondays.tumblr.com

10. christin schindewolf June 6, 2012 at 10:23 am #

i want to do this…in my basement…Stone the cat will be my assistant.

11. AvgGirlsGuide June 6, 2012 at 10:30 am #

LOVE how these turned out; the accidental lilac effect at the bottom is way cool, too. And that gorgeous RM bag? Lucky!

12. Erin @ Thanks, I Made It June 6, 2012 at 10:34 am #

They came out beautifully! I also love you low mess technique : )

13. Robin June 6, 2012 at 10:40 am #

Brillant!!!!!

14. Megan Zietz June 6, 2012 at 10:53 am #

such a great idea!

15. Nnenna June 6, 2012 at 11:08 am #

These jeans turned out beautifully- LOVE! :)

16. Elite Model Barcelona June 6, 2012 at 11:54 am #

Customized jeans: love it!!!!

17. Taylor Curlyinthecity June 6, 2012 at 12:01 pm #

WOWZAS LOVE!!!!!!!!!!

18. Lonely Wife Project June 6, 2012 at 2:13 pm #

You are a genius! I could never attempt this.

19. Kara Endres June 6, 2012 at 7:27 pm #

That’s such a great idea! I’ve been wanting to try those fabric spray paints and also do a dyed ombre pant- I love how you kind of combined those two into one.

20. Hannah June 6, 2012 at 8:56 pm #

Oh my gosh, this is such an amazing idea. I will definitely have to try it – thanks for sharing x

21. Emmy MW June 6, 2012 at 10:08 pm #

The result of this DIY is fantastic.  Really love the look of ombre jeans!

22. Julie & Lauren June 6, 2012 at 10:17 pm #

Omg you’re amazing!!! I want these jeans. They’re adorable and so professional. So fun seeing you last night! XO

23. erica June 7, 2012 at 1:36 am #

these turned out amazing! what a great alternative.

xo erica

24. Bettina June 7, 2012 at 3:27 am #

Love this one Grace! I am so scared of the buckets, so this one seems like a less intimidating alternative. And love the Sam Edelman heels, I totally ended up getting them in bronze and love them, they’re so comfy and go with everything!

25. kirbybee June 7, 2012 at 8:10 am #

Wow!! Love this!! I’ve done plenty of dyeing but never anything like this, something to try for the weekend!!

xx

26. Cara June 7, 2012 at 8:56 am #

This is awesome! I very carefully dip-dyed a tshirt in my apartment’s kitchen sink last weekend but was nervous the whole time.  Love the way the jeans came out, they are just beautiful!

27. Jordan - Queen of LA June 8, 2012 at 1:15 pm #

this is really awesome. this is a DIY i think i could actually do! now to find a cute pair of inexpensive white jeans… :)
    (ps when you were in touch with paige i think you were working with my best friend brynn! she did paige’s PR! small world!)

graceatwood June 8, 2012 at 1:18 pm #

haha – majorly small world! I think that you should do them in hot pink – they would be so you, Queen Jord! xo

28. Kia June 30, 2012 at 8:45 am #

Hi :)
    Can you do this on blue jeans aswell? Or du you have any ideas on how to “pimp” my old blue jeans :D?

graceatwood July 1, 2012 at 2:05 pm #

Hi Kia,
      I’m sure you could do this to blue jeans too! You might want to try a bleach dip dye for more impact. In that case, Jenni from I Spy DIY has a great tutorial for a bleach dip dye over on her blog.

29. Free Coupon July 6, 2012 at 7:29 am #

I was looking for an idea  to dye my jeans….loved your idea gonna give it a shot

graceatwood July 8, 2012 at 11:11 pm #

Thank you! I hope you give it a try!

30. Cristie Xu July 19, 2012 at 1:47 pm #

such a cool idea!

graceatwood July 20, 2012 at 5:24 pm #

Thank you Cristie!

31. Fiona July 26, 2012 at 7:25 am #

The effect worked really well never thought of using  spray bottles thanks for the tips xx

graceatwood July 26, 2012 at 1:33 pm #

Thanks Fiona! I hope you try the project! So easy and not as intimidating as it looks. :)

32. Stephanie November 15, 2012 at 4:57 pm #

This may be a dumb question but, I honestly never worked with dye before! Does the color stay when you wash it after the first wash then? Like with detergent? Also, does it matter what quality jeans I use? I was thinking of going to Gap and getting jeggings or regular white jeans depending on what I find and I wasn’t sure if the material matters when it comes to absorbing dye!!

Thank you!!

33. Ceili March 11, 2014 at 8:40 am #

Do you think this would work with bleach and a denim vest

1. Hautelinks: Week of 6/7/12 | Off Campus Guide - June 8, 2012

[...] friend Grace from Stripes + Sequins did a fantastic ombre denim DIY that’s perfect for small spaces – so no excuse not to try it if you live in a small [...]

2. Outfit: Ombre Jeans - June 8, 2012

[...] there – primarily so that you can see how I style my DIY projects.  This is how I wore my ombre jeans (and an armful of DIY’d bracelets) for a work day.  I like dressing them up with simple, [...]

3. Hautelinks: Week of 6/7/12 | Free Subway Gift Cards - June 8, 2012

4. Hautelinks: Week of 6/7/12 | About Fashion - June 10, 2012

5. 5 DIY Blogs You Should Know | Crossroads Trading Co. - July 3, 2012

[...] looking, and they’re all things we really actually want! Her latest post is how to DIY your own ombre jeans, and though not all ombre DIYs are created equal (some create more of a dip-dye than an ombre), her [...]

6. DIY clothing | Pearltrees - July 10, 2012

[...] DIY: S+S x Paige Denim Ombre Denim • I highly recommend goggles, gloves, working in a ventilated area (open a door or window), and taking a break periodically for a breath of fresh air in the other room. The fumes are strong and can make your eyes burn a bit without goggles. I bleached my first shirt with bare hands, eyes, and mouth. And had a headache for the next 1/2 hour. Then I covered up and it was a big improvement. Safety first! [...]

7. Ombre DIY Ideas & Tutorials - August 29, 2012

[...] Great DIY (as always) from Stripes & Sequins – FULL TUTORIAL HERE [...]

8. Pantalón personalizado estilo ombré - Guía de MANUALIDADES - June 5, 2013

[...] Vía: stripesandsequins.com [...]

9. 25 DIY Denim Projects to Update Your Fall Wardrobe - Henry Happened - August 29, 2013

[…] Row 6: Denim Jacket Restyle // Kids Aztec Bleached Shorts // Zip Front Denim Pants Row 7: Ombre Denim // Modern Denim Quilt // Cushion Jeans Row 8: Denim Snack Bag // Heart Printed Jeans // Denim […]

10. 25 DIY Denim Projects to Update Your Fall Wardrobe - November 4, 2013

[…] 6: Denim Jacket Restyle // Kids Aztec Bleached Shorts // Zip Front Denim Pants Row 7: Ombre Denim // Modern Denim Quilt // Cushion Jeans Row 8: Denim Snack Bag // Heart Printed […]