June 18th, 2012

IMG_9548

DIY: Fishtail Braid Friendship Bracelets

Today’s DIY project is inspired by one of my favorite things to do to my hair in the summer – the fishtail braid.  (The Beauty Department has an easy tutorial and A Cup of Jo has a fun twist on it – check them out.)  The end result is snazzier than a classic braid, but considerably easier to make than a classic knotted friendship bracelet, with the same chevron pattern.  My personal favorite is to use a bunch of similar shades for an ombre effect, but you can really do anything… get creative!

{All you need for this project is some embroidery floss.  Also, the tiny delicate bracelet is a new fave from gorjana.}

steps1-4

1.  Organize your thread.  You’ll need three forty inch strands of floss, in 5 colors (15 total strands.)  //  2.  Fold bundle of floss in half, and carefully knot at the top, forming a loop.  You’ll want your loop to be large enough later to wrap the ends through to tie it on to your wrist.  // 3.  Sort your thread.  On each side, there should be three strands of each of your five colors.  Keep each color together.  // 4.  Begin the bracelet by criss-crossing the first color (bundle of three strands,) over to the opposite side.

steps5-8

5.  Continue the bracelet by crossing the same color over from the opposite side.  // 6.  Repeat steps 4 and 5 with your next color.  Note – it won’t look very pretty at first.  // 7.  Continue to repeat steps 4 and 5 with every color, keeping the floss tight and organized.  // 8.  A really beautiful chevron pattern will emerge!

step9-12

9.  Continue to braid until you reach your desired length.  // 10.  Stop braiding.  (Is this even really a step?) // 11.  Tie a knot.  // 12. Leaving about 3 inches of floss, trim the ends.  You’re all done!

79 Responses to DIY: Fishtail Braid Friendship Bracelets

1. RealGirlGlam June 18, 2012 at 7:52 am #

Simple and easy to do, but makes a big impact! A great DIY as usual!

graceatwood June 18, 2012 at 9:58 am #

thank you!!

• Linda August 17, 2013 at 8:59 am #

Yeah thanx sooo much!

2. christin schindewolf June 18, 2012 at 8:15 am #

I think telling people to stop braiding is a step. You can never underestimate the intelligence of the public.

graceatwood June 18, 2012 at 9:58 am #

my thoughts exactly ;)

3. ALyson -- TAGG June 18, 2012 at 8:55 am #

Totally simple and realistic to do. Must buy embroidery floss. PS: you would have been so proud of me yesterday. Went to Michael’s and I walked out with THREE DIY projects I want to accomplish. YAY!

graceatwood June 18, 2012 at 9:58 am #

I am so, so proud! Can’t wait to see what you whip up!

4. Elizabeth Schneider June 18, 2012 at 9:57 am #

This looks much easier than attempting a fish tail braid on my head. The perfect splash of color!

Grace Atwood June 18, 2012 at 10:31 am #

it’s so easy!  But I know you could do it on your head, too!!  Just read TBD’s tutorial – they make it really simple.

5. Kelsey Miller June 18, 2012 at 10:47 am #

Friendship bracelets scream summer to me! I love the fishtail, too!
    tortoiseinthesun.blogspot.com

graceatwood June 18, 2012 at 2:08 pm #

thanks, kelsey! sooo fun + summery!!

6. KatharsisKulture June 18, 2012 at 12:44 pm #

Ill practice making these, so I can finally fishbraid my own hair!

graceatwood June 18, 2012 at 2:07 pm #

great idea! you can do it!! :)

7. Brynn {chartreuse & a twist} June 18, 2012 at 12:52 pm #

I just love this so much :) I have always been so uncoordinated with any kind of braid…especially the fishtail. But these are just too cute…I may have to give it a shot! XO brynn

graceatwood June 18, 2012 at 2:07 pm #

thanks, Brynn! I really hope you try it – seriously, very easy… you can do it!!

8. nancy @ adore to adorn June 18, 2012 at 1:50 pm #

love love LOVE this! =)
    xo,
    nancy

graceatwood June 18, 2012 at 2:07 pm #

thank you, Nancy!! xo

9. Clara Artschwager June 18, 2012 at 2:21 pm #

Love this, Grace! It was so wonderful meeting you this weekend- your DIYs and blog in general is so impressive. I’m definitely going to make the rope necklace!

graceatwood June 18, 2012 at 5:16 pm #

Thank you, Clara! I am loving your blog, too! It was so great to meet you on Saturday!!

10. pinkjulep June 18, 2012 at 5:07 pm #

LOVE THESE!!!!

graceatwood June 18, 2012 at 5:16 pm #

thank you so much!

11. Katie @ Katie's Bliss June 18, 2012 at 6:58 pm #

These are so cute! I remember making ones similar to them at camp when I was younger :)

katiesbliss.com

Grace Atwood June 19, 2012 at 11:16 am #

Thanks, Katie!  I hope you make some this summer!!

12. Alex Hubbard June 18, 2012 at 7:28 pm #

Super cute and bright! Love love!

Grace Atwood June 19, 2012 at 11:16 am #

Thanks Alex! :)

13. How to be Fancy June 18, 2012 at 10:48 pm #

I can’t get enough friendship bracelets this summer. Oh, and thank you times a million for sharing where your tiny bracelet is from…it’s adorable!! xx

graceatwood June 19, 2012 at 10:19 am #

Me either! And you are welcome. Gorjana has so many pretty little bracelets – love them!

14. Frankie hearts fashion June 19, 2012 at 3:01 am #

you are too clever! Love these. xoxo

graceatwood June 19, 2012 at 10:19 am #

aw, thanks lady! xox

15. Greta June 19, 2012 at 9:04 pm #

I really love this becuase all the other interesting bracelets like the chevron take forever because you have to loop around each individual strand but with this you can get a pretty thick braclet with a cool design with multiple colors easily and quickly! :)

graceatwood June 19, 2012 at 10:05 pm #

Thanks Greta, I feel exactly the same way!!

16. MAGS June 23, 2012 at 1:46 pm #

Ooh these are so cute! Love this DIY! (:
    noragsformags.blogspot.com

graceatwood June 24, 2012 at 9:27 pm #

thank you!!

17. Erin G. June 24, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

Just made this and it came out perfectly!! So incredibly easy. You don’t even have to know how to do the fishtail to hair to be able to do this. I make chevrons all the time but they take soooo long to make, this a great and quick alternative.

graceatwood June 24, 2012 at 9:27 pm #

I am so happy to hear that! Would love to see a pic!

18. Tara Celeste June 25, 2012 at 12:35 pm #

Love this trendy twist on a summer classic!

graceatwood June 25, 2012 at 1:39 pm #

I’m so happy you like it, Tara! Hope you give the project a try. :)

19. Khadija Mumtaz July 23, 2012 at 8:57 pm #

Made this today and it came out great :)

graceatwood July 24, 2012 at 4:49 pm #

Yay! Would love for you to email me a pic… (stripesandsequins@gmail.com,) I will post it to the S+S Facebook page! xx

20. kim August 2, 2012 at 4:02 pm #

ok this may sound like a silly question but at the end to put it on your wrist – are you just putting the end knot inside the loop to secure it closed?

graceatwood August 5, 2012 at 11:29 pm #

Hi Kim! I put half of the strands through the loop and then left half outside of the loop. From there, I just tie a knot! Hope that helps. :)

21. Philothea September 27, 2012 at 9:03 pm #

how do you tie at the end?

graceatwood October 1, 2012 at 2:34 pm #

For these, I just knotted them. But you could finish by tying ‘em in two braids. :)

22. Yoshi Wang October 10, 2012 at 11:28 pm #

This is so perfect! I love the pattern and the simplicity; no complicated pattern. Just wish I could do this with my hair, but that’s a whole other story..

gizmoandyoshi.blogspot.com

23. Lilycoppedge October 13, 2012 at 5:48 pm #

love it so much

24. Vianca November 17, 2012 at 9:08 am #

Oh my Gosh! This is so beautiful friendship BRACELET! And this is easy to do I think… Gotta make this one and give it to my friends!.. nice job… LOVE It! …. do more diy bracelets, necklaces, and etc.

25. Markwell December 19, 2012 at 4:59 pm #

Beautiful! SImple and very nicely made!

Check my blog here!

26. Daniela March 10, 2013 at 1:59 am #

I just found this DIY bracelet tutorial and it looks awesome! Some of the pictures aren’t loading though and I’m not managing well with the written instructions alone, unfortunately :( I’ll keep trying but hopefully the pictures will come back someday?

27. Kelly G ❥ May 11, 2013 at 4:49 pm #

omg! I just became a fan of your DIY website. ahaha, I know that this was posted almost a year ago, but I just wanted to thank you! I can say I’m obsessed x

28. Lora May 11, 2013 at 5:54 pm #

Pictures 2-3-4 are “broken” … all the ones that show the steps :(

Grace Atwood July 7, 2013 at 5:25 pm #

Hi Lora, So sorry about that! I just fixed the post.

29. Adrian August 5, 2013 at 11:40 pm #

i just want to use black and white, is there any way i can do that? if there is, please tell me!

Grace Atwood August 6, 2013 at 12:39 pm #

Yes, definitely! Just alternate pulling black + white strands from the back to the front. I think this will look really pretty!

30. Alien August 14, 2013 at 4:26 am #

Amazing!!!! I thought it would be so difficult but it wasnt. It was easy peasy!!!!

31. Cynthia August 19, 2013 at 3:04 pm #

How many strings do i need to make the thin pink one you have there

Grace Atwood August 19, 2013 at 3:35 pm #

Hi Cynthia,
      You need 15 strands (3 strands of each color.) Good luck!

32. Ella August 23, 2013 at 6:15 am #

this was a really good tutorial and very well explained! thankyou :)

33. sophie August 23, 2013 at 7:22 am #

too complicated and didn’t turn out to be at all as i wanted it to be. can you provide more detail?
    sorry!

34. sam September 12, 2013 at 7:27 am #

nice…………………..

35. Laila October 14, 2013 at 10:29 am #

Would this work with only three colors?

• Marissa September 20, 2014 at 5:47 pm #

Yeah, it can because you can make almost any bracelet as many colors as you want.

36. Elly December 24, 2013 at 12:18 pm #

Thanks I was looking for a new and easy braclet to make and this is just what I was looking for
    Thanks

37. jewelry store September 3, 2014 at 5:08 am #

Our handbags and Jewellery have such style and use advantages, and this fact proves that we are the leaders in this sphere. We provide only quality with a different ‘bling’ look. Even if you are not a biggest fan of ‘Bling’ our shop can still offer you some special fashion options.

38. Marissa September 20, 2014 at 5:44 pm #

My sister fishtails hair, now I fishtail bracelets. Maybe I should try it on her hair! :-)

39. Lilycoppedge October 13, 2012 at 5:50 pm #

i like your silly question

1. Hautelinks: Week of 6/21/12 | Varsity Team - June 21, 2012

[...] & Sequins did a super cute fishtail braid friendship bracelet tutorial. Love [...]

2. Hautelinks: Week of 6/21/12 | Off Campus Guide - June 22, 2012

3. DIY Chevron + Chain Necklace - July 2, 2012

[...] 1.  Begin by cutting your cord into six pieces by 60″ each.  (three pieces of each color.)  // 2.  Take your first color, fold it in half, and tie a knot.  Your loop should be big enough to accomodate a knot (the knot + loop will account for your clasp.) // 3.  Thread your second color through the loop.  // 4.  Criss cross your second color over the first color, using the fishtail braid technique that you learned from this post. [...]

4. Friendship Bracelet:) | Pearltrees - July 16, 2012

[...] Fishtail Braid Friendship Bracelets teahab: Tutorial Tuesday <b>3. Take a piece of large link chain around 18cm long. Measure this against you wrist and add or take off links as you need. 6 Strand Braid Tutorial I've been braiding my girls hair for years. All sorts. I love doing their hair. We were super excited to share the Fishtail Friendship bracelet tutorial with you and we are even more excited to share that we've found an easier way to do it. Don't get me wrong, I will still use the original technique to create more intricate designs but, this new tutorial is so quick you will end up wanting to make one in every color combination possible (like we did!) [...]

5. breast cancer pink bracelets - July 21, 2012

[...] Gift Ideas for breast cancer? My friends and I go for a breast cancer walk on Saturday and want to …a breast cancer walk on Saturday and want to make gifts to the sale and raise money, but we have no ideas. We will create friendship bracelets pink, but no time to do it: thanks (Thus, the ideas are much appreciated:) There is plenty of time to create friendship bracelets pink if you're not too involved. Just three knots to nine inches and no more. Nobody asked participants to create a basket for the baby can fit I Don't Like Pink [...]

6. my bracelets | Pearltrees - August 23, 2012

[...] three – one with a safety pin, another with a gold tube bead, and one with a little star charm. Fishtail Braid Friendship Bracelets June 18, 2012 Today’s DIY project is inspired by one of my favorite things to do to my hair in [...]

7. crafts | Pearltrees - September 16, 2012

[...] Fishtail Braid Friendship Bracelets Crafts Crafty Site Wrap Bracelet:) Craft sites and blogs paper [+] craft shows/reference etched cherry crafty Crafts glass doily vintagegirl crafts-projects knitting gifty things delightful party sweet Stuff I want to make bubbles King of Crafting england filter Craftiness stencil bullard Crafts magnet Braided Chain Bracelet:) tutorial jewelry paper matchbook magic Beaded Wrap Bracelets:) spiral DIY1 favorited holiday hedra Crafts favorite Arts and Crafts instructables Crafts & Design paper project handmade glowing craft etceteras cupboard light Painting sketch print tissue jewelry ideas feeling finger DIY guide presents elbow Crafts martha Crafts fortune headband holder crafts wedding Crafts dress heart infinity Recycling Paper Into: frame craftsmanship circular wonder crafts heels sharpie tetrabox Green shtuffz could do it yourself guest lunch homemade DIY design freebies Art packaging Crafts phone stuff Crafting halloween heart Crafting domestic https gifts usefullness charging honestly learn art flower tutorials things tools Gift Ideas/Self Crafts water To make perfect christmas DIY christmas Papier crafty home • contact • blog • fb • twitter to experience pearltrees activate javascript. [...]

8. Inspirations | Pearltrees - September 26, 2012

[...] Fishtail Braid Friendship Bracelets June 18, 2012 Today’s DIY project is inspired by one of my favorite things to do to my hair in the summer – the fishtail braid. ( The Beauty Department has an easy tutorial and A Cup of Jo has a fun twist on it – check them out.) Chunky Link Ball Chain Friendship Bracelets June 4, 2012 Boden Boulevard Necklace Knockoff Wrap the cord through the last link of the chain where the knot is. ( My DIY version, left ) I fell in love with this necklace ( found on SixSixSick , right photo ), originally by artist Anni Albers. They sell the DIY necklace kit on Urban Outfitters for $14. ( below photo ) [...]

9. Jewelry Beads With LettersJewelry Beads - October 19, 2012

[...] beads)’ A’ ’ Sugar’ ’ C’ ’ Phosphate’ ’ … Fetch Doc Explaining Alphabet Friendship Bracelets (How To Read & Use …Check the Sub-Albums in the lowe…ransform:capitalize;">Explaining Alphabet Friendship Bracelets (How To Read & Use …Check the [...]

10. DIY Chevron + Chain Necklace | Stripes & Sequins - July 7, 2013

11. DIY: 5 Strand Braid Friendship Bracelets | Stripes & Sequins - July 23, 2013

[...] bracelet making kick.  We made these chain bracelets, these triple ball bracelets, these fishtail bracelets, and these diamond friendship bracelets… I’ve been jonesing to make another one ever [...]

12. ca de vacanta | o brățară pe zi - August 6, 2013

[...] un tutorial dragut gasiti aici [...]

13. 31 Days in Paradise~ Day 10: Family Time | Soul Happy Living - August 26, 2013

[…] some friendship bracelets. After a stop and go on the basic chevron pattern we decided on some an easy pattern that seemed to suit us just […]

14. Do-It-Yourself Friendship BraceletsHandmade-Jewelry-Club - September 30, 2014

[…] Grace’s creation is simply perfect for you. With easy-to-follow instructions, this DIY jewelry tutorial teaches you how to create a bracelet. This pattern is stylish, intricate, and creates spectacular […]