June 25th, 2012

final

DIY: Delicate Chain Bracelets

All though it could be said that I’m the queen of “more is more,” lately, I have been obsessed with dainty little baubles…  especially in the form of delicate chain bracelets.  I’ve bought a few here or there, but then it dawned on me – why not make a few, repurposing some old chain necklaces that I no longer wear.  They’re incredibly easy to make… I made three – one with a safety pin, another with a gold tube bead, and one with a little star charm.

I’m wearing the homemade versions on the right side.  On the left side, my bracelets are Cartier, Gorjana, and Derng.

Materials / Where to Buy:  Old necklace or delicate fine chain // charm // safety pin (I used a tiny brass one that came in this set.)  // 3mm jump rings // 6mm jump rings // needle-nose pliers // tube bead //wire nippers (not pictured)

To make the tube bead bracelet:  1.  Take your necklace (leave the clasp on – you’ll skip a step,) and string on a tube bead.  // 2.  Snip off the excess so that the bracelet fits your wrist (usually somewhere around 6-7 inches.  // 3.  Add a 3mm jump ring. // 4.  Add a 6mm jump ring.

To make the safety pin bracelet:  1.  Snip off about 2-3 inches of chain.  // 2.  Add a small jump ring. // 3.  Connect the safety pin.  // 4.  Connect jump ring and chain to the opposite side of the chain.  // 5.  Connect another small jump ring and then your clasp… done!

To make the star bracelet:  1.  Take one of your necklaces and snip off 6-7 inches, depending upon the length of your wrist.  // 2.  Add a small jump ring to each side (and a clasp to one side.)  // 3.  Add a 6mm jump ring to the other side. // 4.  Add your charm to the middle of the bracelet… and you are done!

43 Responses to DIY: Delicate Chain Bracelets

1. wonderfulandmarvelous June 25, 2012 at 6:41 am #

What a cute idea! I especially love the one with the safety pin.
    xo Andrea

Grace Atwood June 25, 2012 at 1:37 pm #

Thanks, Andrea!  I hope you give the project a try!!

2. PennyPincherFashion June 25, 2012 at 7:32 am #

Absolutely love this DIY – I cannot get enough of delicate jewely lately!  Looks like I’m headed to the craft store today :)

Grace Atwood June 25, 2012 at 1:37 pm #

Oooh I hope you give it a go!!  If you do please send me a pic! xx

3. inhonorofdesign June 25, 2012 at 7:37 am #

Okay especially love the safety pin one! These are beautiful! Going to make a few:)
    x, Anna

Grace Atwood June 25, 2012 at 1:37 pm #

Yay!  Can’t wait to see what you come up with.  :)

4. candids by Jo June 25, 2012 at 9:30 am #

really cute idea!

5. The Avg Girl Guide June 25, 2012 at 9:39 am #

OK, absolutely love this because I am loving delicate jewelry lately. I have two necklaces I never take off because they’re so delicate you can even add on bolder pieces without them getting in the way. This is a must! PINNING! :)

Grace Atwood June 25, 2012 at 1:38 pm #

Yay, so happy you like it.  I do the same with my delicate pieces.  They’re great on their own, or really fun to layer with bigger pieces.

6. Elizabeth Schneider June 25, 2012 at 9:50 am #

Ok please please please sell those safety pin bracelets, they could not be more adorable! I want a necklace too ;) Now start that shop!

Grace Atwood June 25, 2012 at 1:38 pm #

Haha, I will try!!!  :)  A necklace version would be so cute.

7. Jasmine // Webhautejas June 25, 2012 at 11:03 am #

simple. easy. cute. ….i love it!

graceatwood June 25, 2012 at 12:36 pm #

Thanks Jas! xx

8. Cassia Lewis June 25, 2012 at 11:12 am #

Adorable! I need to try this. I tend to make massssiiive chunky jewellery but maybe I should try something new!!

9. MeganElissa June 25, 2012 at 11:15 am #

SUCH a good idea! I have so many necklaces that I just haven’t wanted to get rid of but never wear… Now I finally know what to do with them!

notyouraveragebeachbum.blogspot.com

graceatwood June 25, 2012 at 12:36 pm #

Yay! Please send me a pic if you do it!! (stripesandsequins@gmail.com)

10. Stephanie June 25, 2012 at 11:15 am #

Great DIY! I am a huge fan of simple, delicate jewelry. That star pendant is too cute!

graceatwood June 25, 2012 at 12:37 pm #

Thank you! I love the star, too – so simple + easy to wear!!

11. christin schindewolf June 25, 2012 at 11:56 am #

i need to do this. on the asap. love love love!

graceatwood June 25, 2012 at 12:37 pm #

Yes, yes, you do! I will be so proud!!

12. Viviana Carmona June 25, 2012 at 1:28 pm #

These are so pretty and delicate! I’ve been loving all the delicate jewelry lately so this is a must try for me!

graceatwood June 25, 2012 at 1:36 pm #

Thanks, Viv! I hope you try it!!

13. Erin @ Thanks, I Made It June 25, 2012 at 1:29 pm #

How lovely! I especially like that you re-purposed an old necklace and the safety pin is so fun. I feel like I have two jewelry personalities too: go big or go home or seriously minimalist.

graceatwood June 25, 2012 at 1:36 pm #

That’s such a great way of putting it, I’m exactly the same! Big + bold, or just a few delicate chains. :)

14. Lauren M. Ferreira June 25, 2012 at 4:45 pm #

These look so pretty!  I’ve seen a few other really easy diy jewelry tutorials.  I may need to get some tools soon!  Love these!

graceatwood June 25, 2012 at 5:34 pm #

Thanks Lauren! You really should – so easy and fun!

15. The Curvy Girl June 26, 2012 at 8:11 am #

Love these!

graceatwood June 26, 2012 at 10:40 am #

Thank you!

16. Courtney June 26, 2012 at 1:33 pm #

Very nice!

graceatwood June 26, 2012 at 3:44 pm #

Thanks, Courtney!

17. Kara Endres July 7, 2012 at 1:25 am #

I can’t get over that safety pin one… it’s so cute.  I have to try making some dainty bracelets like this.

graceatwood July 8, 2012 at 11:16 pm #

You need some! xo

18. Jacquie Rutherford August 13, 2012 at 10:39 pm #

I can’t wait to make these bracelets!! They are so cute.  Thanks for sharing.

graceatwood August 14, 2012 at 11:54 am #

aw, thanks Jacquie! So excited to hear how yours turn out! xx

1. Pamela (z13thstar) | Pearltrees - June 25, 2012

[…] and loving life. aloha and peace from Maui, Hawaii! Get flash to fully experience Pearltrees DIY: Delicate Chain Bracelets June 25, 2012 All though it could be said that I’m the queen of “more is more,” lately, I […]

2. Hautelinks: Week of 6/28/12 | Off Campus Guide - June 29, 2012

[…] of bracelet DIYs, these delicate chain bracelets from Stripes & Sequins are adorable and super easy to […]

3. Some weekend DIY. « celche - June 30, 2012

[…] a lobster clasp. Maybe a DIY post coming up? The next DIY on my list: gold tube bracelets from stripesandsequins. Share this: Pin ItMoreEmailPrintShare on TumblrLike this:LikeBe the first to like this. […]

4. Projets | Pearltrees - July 2, 2012

[…] < Brico/Custo < glitch Get flash to fully experience Pearltrees DIY: Delicate Chain Bracelets June 25, 2012 sewing 101: fabric boxes It seems no matter what I do, I can never get a handle on […]

5. ¿QUEJESTO? Lo mejor de DIY | Little Miss B. - July 16, 2012

[…] Stripes and Sequins El DIY elegido: Delicados brazaletes de cadena […]

6. Bracelets | Pearltrees - August 7, 2012

[…] Bracelets chainettes June 25, 2012 All though it could be said that I’m the queen of “more is more,” lately, I have been obsessed with dainty little baubles… especially in the form of delicate chain bracelets. I’ve bought a few here or there, but then it dawned on me – why not make a few, repurposing some old chain necklaces that I no longer wear. They’re incredibly easy to make… I made three – one with a safety pin, another with a gold tube bead, and one with a little star charm. Bracelet chaine/ fils coton […]

7. my bracelets | Pearltrees - August 23, 2012

[…] Link Ball Chain Friendship Bracelets Delicate Chain Bracelets June 25, 2012 All though it could be said that I’m the queen of “more is more,” lately, I […]

8. Wholesale Bead Chain Necklaces - November 2, 2012

[…] 5pcs 2mm 24inch Silver Beads Chain Necklace Fashion Jewelry · ESTATE STERLING SILVER BEAD . DIY: Delicate Chain Bracelets | Stripes + Sequins I've bought a few here or there, but then it dawned on me – why not make a few, repurposing […]