May 21st, 2012

IMG_9334 copy

DIY: Triple Ball Chain Bracelet

After last week’s bracelet DIY, I thought it would be fun to do another summery bracelet.  (If your curious, next week’s DIY will be another summer bracelet, too – the reason for this is that I’ve had several busy weeks topped off with weekend travel plans, and materials for bracelets travel incredibly well!)  Last summer, the brilliant ladies of Honestly WTF slayed me with this fabulous wrap bracelet.  Ball chain – what a brilliant idea!  This bracelet uses three pieces of ball chain.  While starting it is a bit tricky (I had to redo a few of mine,) perseverance pays off.  If you wrap the waxed linen properly, the result is absolutely beautiful – and once you get the swing of it, they become very easy.  (I made two of mine during our road trip up from LA to Santa Barbara!)

What you’ll need:

Begin the bracelet by cutting the waxed linen into six pieces.  You’ll want four pieces that are approximately 24 inches long, and two pieces that are approximately 40 inches long.  Take all 6 pieces and knot firmly together.

Take your six strands and divide them into three bundles of two.  Braid for about three inches.

When you finish braiding, separate the strands.  Put the four shorter strands together in the middle, and pull the longer strands out to the sides.

Take two of your pieces of ball chain, and pinch them together with the four bottom strands.

Wrap each of the two longer strands of linen around the ball chain, securing it to the bottom four strands.

Once you have the first two pieces of ball chain secure, add in your third piece – wrapping firmly.  You’ll want to wrap each strand diagonally, from opposite directions.  (This will ensure that you get a really nice criss-cross pattern.)

Wrap slowly and tightly.  I found that it works best to wrap in one direction for a bit, stop, and then wrap over that in the opposite direction with the other piece of thread.

Continue wrapping in both directions until you get to the very end.

When you get to the end, gather all of the stands together and knot firmly.  Braid for another three inches, knot, and you are done!

And pair with last week’s bracelet.  Don’t they look pretty together?

Make them for everyone you know… preferably, poolside!

51 Responses to DIY: Triple Ball Chain Bracelet

1. RealGirlGlam May 21, 2012 at 7:17 am #

Impressive, as usual! Love all the colors together and with the bracelets from last week!

2. PennyPincherFashion May 21, 2012 at 7:20 am #

Love this one just as much as last week’s – really need to get myself to the craft store soon! :)

3. Taylor Curlyinthecity May 21, 2012 at 8:47 am #

So cute!! I have a ton of threading at home, and some ball chain I think…if not must get some for a fun look!

4. Liz {Sequins & Stripes} May 21, 2012 at 9:24 am #

I wish I lived in NYC, a DIY party would be so much fun!

5. Samantha Green May 21, 2012 at 9:56 am #

these are amazing! i am definitely going to be trying this out! xx

6. ALyson -- TAGG May 21, 2012 at 10:17 am #

Love these!! I need a crafts night at my house, STAT! Think your new biz venture? Organizing crafts nights for girls. :)

7. Denise Atwood May 21, 2012 at 10:24 am #

I love thee too!  So much fun!

8. Sarah Pickell May 21, 2012 at 10:24 am #

love these! I’ll definitely be making these for my girlfriends this summer!

9. Lauren Myers May 21, 2012 at 10:31 am #

I just ordered supplies to try a DIY bracelet I saw on Honestly WTF and thankfully this bracelet uses the same exact supplies that I ordered. Looks like I’ll be attempting two DIY bracelets this week! Absolutely love this one!!

10. Viviana Carmona May 21, 2012 at 10:58 am #

These are seriously amazing!

11. Nora May 21, 2012 at 11:13 am #

Very pretty. Looks quite professionally made.

Nora

12. Amarilloneon Shop Diy May 21, 2012 at 11:18 am #

Muy bonito. En tonos flúor tienen que quedar genial.
    Besos

13. Emily Lunstroth May 21, 2012 at 12:42 pm #

so so cute, I just found some friendship bracelet materials while cleaning out my room at my parents house and may need to dive into it!

14. Mai May 21, 2012 at 2:18 pm #

wow, this is awesome!

15. Johanna May 21, 2012 at 4:18 pm #

These look a little trickier but I am up for the challenge. I think I like these even better…but together it’s tons of fabulosity!

16. Bettina May 21, 2012 at 4:44 pm #

Love this one! Totally pinned to my DIY to do list. It’s getting quite long, I really need to get on completing them :)

17. Laura | Styledbylaura.com May 21, 2012 at 4:53 pm #

Grace these are absolutely stunning, I love all the colours together :)

Laura xo

18. Sarah May 21, 2012 at 5:08 pm #

These are so darling! What a great little addition to an arm party :)

19. Theresnoplacelikehomemke May 21, 2012 at 5:41 pm #

So cute! Love it!

20. Erin @ Thanks, I Made It May 21, 2012 at 8:42 pm #

Another knock-out project that I’ll have to try! Love the soft colors too, they look great with last week’s DIY!

21. alicia middlebrooks May 22, 2012 at 12:10 am #

Oh my gosh!!! This is such.   a super simple project. I can do this. So Excited to try it this week.

22. Bethany - Powell Brower Home May 22, 2012 at 12:58 pm #

whoa… amazing!

23. Kara Endres May 22, 2012 at 3:14 pm #

OMG I love this! I was just looking at jewelry supplies and saw this ball chain and was wondering what I could do with it. I have to try it!

24. Gotham Polish May 22, 2012 at 10:24 pm #

OK now I want to make like 10 of these. Or 20. I know exactly where I want to go to get all these supplies, too :)

25. Susan Hager May 23, 2012 at 12:15 am #

You are seriously inspiring me to make these! I love them!

26. Invitation To Inspiration May 23, 2012 at 5:53 am #

this is amazing!!! I have to try it!! :-DDD
    thank you….
    xoxo

27. Anna Liesemeyer May 23, 2012 at 2:02 pm #

Grace, I am loving these! Beautifuly done! Thanks for sharing your DIY brilliance:)
    Anna

28. Jessbuurman May 31, 2012 at 7:48 am #

It is very nice ,  I love it, whoa… amazing!

29. Kelsey June 15, 2012 at 7:34 pm #

I’ve looked everywhere for waxed linen. Where did you buy it??!!

graceatwood June 15, 2012 at 7:36 pm #

I bought mine at Ornamentea… but I also linked to where to buy in the tutorial!!

30. Angie(: June 16, 2012 at 11:36 am #

i dont get it haha, it seems very confusing to me babes! x

graceatwood June 16, 2012 at 5:20 pm #

Sorry to hear! Which part confuses you?

31. clothes!makeup!jewelry! June 22, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

I made a set using your pictures for a DIY contest on Polyvore. I linked this page to give you full credit. :)

graceatwood June 24, 2012 at 9:24 pm #

thanks for sharing the link!

32. Augielee July 19, 2012 at 11:42 pm #

Love it very much!
    p.s. where did you get your watch?!

graceatwood July 20, 2012 at 6:17 pm #

Thanks Kaitlin… my watch is a Rolex – it was a very special gift. :)

33. Lorenerw August 17, 2012 at 7:57 am #

if you start out with a loop on one end and make these longer then secure a button on the other end, it will be a nice wrap bracelet

graceatwood August 20, 2012 at 10:16 am #

Yes, Honestly WTF did a great job doing that! I wanted to close mine off a bit differently.

34. Moodeline August 20, 2012 at 11:38 am #

Hey just a note, your measurements don’t add up, was trying to do this, thought I had enough string and I don’t :( 2.5 yards doesn’t equal 24×4 pieces + 40×2 pieces… That equals over 4 yards

35. Susan9959 October 6, 2012 at 8:11 pm #

just wondering, where can you buy a ball chain or rhinestone links? i’ve been seeing them in tons of tutorials and I have no idea where to get them :(

36. Kathryn November 24, 2012 at 12:10 pm #

Thank you so much for this tutorial I saw the bracelet in a shop at £145 way too expensive. I have made 4 since I found you site. Only change I made was to use 4 threads and a different style of finish like the actual bracelet. Planning to make some for Christmas………my husband says thank you as you have saved him a fortune :o)

Grace Atwood November 25, 2012 at 11:27 am #

Aw, thank you so much for your comment, Kathryn! I’m so happy that you benefitted from the tutorial. And wow – that is just wayyyy too much money to charge. Happy crafting :)

37. Clio Beads February 25, 2013 at 11:25 pm #

Hello. I really love your design and your sharing. But, it seems that you do not show how to wear the bracelet, I mean, tie 2 ends of bracelets. Thanx:)

Grace Atwood February 26, 2013 at 9:54 am #

Hi there – it’s very easy – I just tied it in a knot, like a friendship bracelet. You could finish it off in a fancier way, but I went for the tried + true here ;)

1. DIY I’m Dying to Try! | MPress - May 23, 2012

[…] but certainly not least are these fun Triple Ball Chain Bracelets from another one of my all time favorite fashion/DIY blogs, Stripes & Sequins! What could be […]

2. bracelets | Pearltrees - May 29, 2012

[…] DIY: Triple Ball Chain Bracelet After last week’s bracelet DIY , I thought it would be fun to do another summery bracelet. (If your curious, next week’s DIY will be another summer bracelet, too – the reason for this is that I’ve had several busy weeks topped off with weekend travel plans, and materials for bracelets travel incredibly well!) When money is tight, but fabulous fashion is a necessity, try out your crafting skills to make something new and fantastic. These bracelets are sure to impress and look quite expensive, but all they require is some gold chain and friendship bracelet yarn, both of which you can find at a craft store like Michael’s Art Supply. […]

3. Our Favorite Ball Chain DIY Jewelry Projects - August 9, 2012

[…] 5. DIY Triple Ball Chain Bracelet […]

4. my bracelets | Pearltrees - August 23, 2012

[…] Skye Inspired Two Tone Chain Bracelet Triple Ball Chain Bracelet After last week’s bracelet DIY , I thought it would be fun to do another summery bracelet. (If […]

5. DIY: Chunky Link Ball Chain Friendship Bracelets | Stripes & Sequins - July 7, 2013

[…] you know from this and this, I just can’t stop making friendship bracelets!  They look so good mixed + matched, piled […]

6. 3 DIY’s I’m Dying to Try! - July 11, 2013

7. DIY: 5 Strand Braid Friendship Bracelets | Stripes & Sequins - July 23, 2013

[…] summer I was on a friendship bracelet making kick.  We made these chain bracelets, these triple ball bracelets, these fishtail bracelets, and these diamond friendship bracelets.  These bracelets are supremely […]