April 2nd, 2012

IMG_8894

DIY: Heavy Metal Bracelet

This was another one of those projects that came from an “inspiration trip” to the hardware store.  Sometimes I’ll stroll the aisles of Home Depot, pretending that I’m in the craft store.  When you’re looking at everything as though it could be a potential craft supply or jewelry hardware, your entire mindset changes.  Try it sometime.  Anyway, I’m having a major moment with bracelets.  As preppy / sparkly as my taste typically runs, I’ve been craving tough chic hardware pieces (like my bullet cuff, remember her?)  I’ve been piling them on, rolling up the sleeves of my striped tees, and going a bit edgier  than usual.  Maybe something’s in the air this Spring.

{the other bracelets I’m wearing are from BaubleBar and Diament Designs.}

This bracelet is very easy to make… requiring about 10-15 minutes of your time… and $10 or so dollars in material costs.

What you’ll need:

Start by threading on a jump ring, and attaching two of your hinges, through the holes – as shown below.

Once you’ve attached the upper holes together, attach the lower holes.  Your hinges should look like the below.

Keep going… and your bracelet will look like this!

To finish things off… double up two pieces of embroidery floss (about 15″ long.)  Weave through your first hole…

And then through the second…

Flip over, and tie firmly.  Repeat on both sides.

And voila – your hinge bracelet is ready to go.  I like to tie the embroidery floss in a little bow.  The contrast between the bow and the edgy hardware is fun.

55 Responses to DIY: Heavy Metal Bracelet

1. Donatella M April 2, 2012 at 6:21 am #

too funny! today i posted about a bracelet made with hardware store bought items too!!! :) have a great Monday! Love yours a lot!

2. PennyPincherFashion April 2, 2012 at 7:01 am #

LOVE it and this is one I can actually do!  Thanks for sharing – your ideas always amaze me :)

3. Natasha Fatah April 2, 2012 at 7:21 am #

What a great idea, and I love the use of red thread, softens it a bit with the different textures.

xoxo

4. christin April 2, 2012 at 7:46 am #

you are a genius. and i seriously mean that. i would never think of any of these amazing DIYs.

5. The Curvy Girl April 2, 2012 at 8:52 am #

LOVE LOVE and LOVE this! I might have to start spending more time in Lowe’s and Home Depot out of the plant section!!!

6. Tereza April 2, 2012 at 9:18 am #

This is really chic, I love it.

7. RealGirlGlam April 2, 2012 at 9:29 am #

This is such a creative, unique idea. I love how it looks and SO simple!

8. Alyson -- TAGG April 2, 2012 at 9:46 am #

Coolest idea!! Thinking this could also be so fun with hot pink or cobalt blue floss. You have the best idea for re-working items!

9. mildred77 April 2, 2012 at 9:48 am #

Great inspiration ! will have to try this!

10. Pamela Castillo April 2, 2012 at 10:20 am #

That looks awesome!!!!!

11. Viviana Carmona April 2, 2012 at 10:35 am #

Fabulous bracelet! Can’t believe it’s so easy to make!

12. Lia April 2, 2012 at 10:52 am #

This is fantastic, Grace!
    xo
    Lia

13. Sarah April 2, 2012 at 11:45 am #

This is great, Grace! I’ve been into edgier pieces lately too and I think it’s because the fashion this spring is SO girly that it’s nice to offset the sweetness, you know?

14. Stylista Diaries April 2, 2012 at 11:47 am #

I recently found your blog and I am in LOVE. You have inspired me to do more crafty things, even though I convinced myself I can’t do any DIY project without screwing up. You make them so easy and simple! Love it!

xo,
    Victoria

15. Sam E Penner April 2, 2012 at 11:55 am #

What a cool bracelet!  I love the rocker chic vibe of it!

16. Jen@redsolesandredwine April 2, 2012 at 12:23 pm #

Love it!  Home depot + Grace = creativity.  Would have never thought of this.

17. nancy @ adore to adorn April 2, 2012 at 12:27 pm #

such a great DIY bracelet! =) love the industrial vibe…
    xo,
    nancy

18. Caroline @ Between Your Ears April 2, 2012 at 12:29 pm #

This is super cute!! Love it!

19. Alexa April 2, 2012 at 12:46 pm #

Super cute. I am so into gold lately. It just seems a nice compliment to everything!

20. Molliee Martin April 2, 2012 at 1:03 pm #

I would never think of this! what a fun idea!!!

21. Sarah Sequins April 2, 2012 at 1:30 pm #

I love that bracelet! I look at hardware stores as craft stores, too. There’s a great book that came out in 2006 called Hardwear by Hannah Rogge. I think Mr. Sequin has it in his collection. :)

22. Meghan April 2, 2012 at 1:54 pm #

damn girl, you’re so crafty. love how this turned out :)

23. Bettina April 2, 2012 at 2:51 pm #

Love how crafty you get at Home Depot… who would’ve known home depot would foster such craftiness!

24. Jenni April 2, 2012 at 4:44 pm #

That looks really cute! Just one question — I see a little clasp in your picture, but I don’t see it used in your bracelet. Do you think it is possible to use two of those clasps to fasten the bracelet instead of the embroidery floss? Just thinking through another possible variation.

graceatwood April 2, 2012 at 4:53 pm #

Oh my goodness – good eye! You made me realize I put the wrong photo up. Originally I’d planned to use a clasp, then I changed my mind! You could definitely use clasps… I just liked the idea of simplifying it with floss!

25. Katie S. April 2, 2012 at 6:07 pm #

Love this DIY!! So creative, as always! One question…what color are you wearing on your nails in these pictures? It’s fabulous!

graceatwood April 2, 2012 at 6:11 pm #

Thank you so much, Katie! It’s POP Beauty, in Tangerine Taste. Here’s the link to buy, if you are interested… :) http://bit.ly/HgXnN6

26. summer briley April 2, 2012 at 6:21 pm #

What a clever/beautiful idea!!

27. Frankie hearts fashion April 2, 2012 at 6:52 pm #

you are brilliant!! Love this one…xo

28. Liz - So Much to Smile About April 2, 2012 at 7:32 pm #

This is amazing! I love lots of metal/gold bracelets – perfect arm party you have there!

29. Jenny Bevlin April 2, 2012 at 7:32 pm #

I love this! What a great idea. I love how edgy that bracelet looks

30. Erica & Lauren April 2, 2012 at 8:14 pm #

LOVE IT!!!! xo

31. Lisa @ Elembee, Etc April 2, 2012 at 10:47 pm #

What a fun idea! And I love your nail polish!

32. Adeola Naomi Aderemi April 3, 2012 at 8:44 am #

Great and creative idea!!!!

33. Kara Endres April 3, 2012 at 6:07 pm #

This is SO COOL! I’m definitely going to do this one- it looks easy enough for a beginning jewelry maker like me :)

34. The Life of Clare April 4, 2012 at 10:05 pm #

loving this!  What a great idea!  I can’t wait to get to the hardware store and pick up things for a bunch of ideas that i have!

35. Ashley Aspinwall April 5, 2012 at 11:18 am #

LOVE this DIY! Can’t wait to try it! Its all about a chunky gold bracelet : )

xo SideSmile
    Ashley

sidesmilestyle.blogspot.com

36. TheShoppingGoddess April 29, 2012 at 11:11 pm #

When I saw this, I was like “Genius!!” So I ran to my local hardware store and grabbed 1 package of brass hinges, because I’m too poor to buy any more. So for the other half of the bracelet, I actually used silver chains, as my recent obsession is mixing metals. Please check out my blog!!

I’m trying to get more views/followers/etc… but it’s not going very well :(

graceatwood April 30, 2012 at 11:47 am #

It looks great! If you want to email the photos to stripesandsequins@gmail.com I’ll post them to my reader DIY’s photo album on Facebook, with a link back to your blog.

37. Mlh August 24, 2012 at 10:11 pm #

Please tell me where you got your fox/cat bracelet! I love it!!!!

graceatwood August 28, 2012 at 10:52 am #

It’s an old one from BaubleBar!!

38. Kaitiwilliams September 4, 2012 at 5:28 pm #

so cute<3 love love love this idea!

graceatwood September 4, 2012 at 6:08 pm #

Thank you!

1. jewelry | Pearltrees - April 2, 2012

[…] When you’re looking at everything as though it could be a potential craft supply or jewelry hardware, your entire mindset changes. Try it sometime. DIY: Heavy Metal Bracelet […]

2. Hautelinks: Week of 4/5/12 | Varsity Team - April 5, 2012

[…] Stripes + Sequins, a DIY Heavy Metal Bracelet, using things you can find at the hardware store! Super […]

3. Hautelinks: Week of 4/5/12 | Off Campus Guide - April 6, 2012

4. DIY to Try Friday | Love and Rosen - April 6, 2012

[…] over at Stripes + Sequins made this super cool DIY Heavy Metal Bracelet from items at a hardware store. I love meeting girls that love the hardware store as much as I […]

5. DIY Jewelry: Repurposing brass hinges » How to Paint | How to Paint - April 6, 2012

[…] necklace. She’s back with a DIY bracelet made from shiny, new brass hinges! Check out the full step-by-step on her blog, Stripes + […]

6. LINK CITY | Sharables - April 6, 2012

[…] Stripes + Sequins, a DIY Heavy Metal Bracelet, using things you can find at the hardware store! Super […]

7. [Guest Post] stripes & sequins // Finding Inspiration | small shop [a brand styling studio] - April 12, 2012

[…] credits:  1, 2, 3, […]

8. Jewellery | Pearltrees - May 8, 2012

[…] DIY: Heavy Metal Bracelet I Want. I am loving these spring DIY projects! This “Utility Cord Bangle” comes from Blog A La Cart and if I can’t make it, I definitely want it… Think of all the awesome color/ chain combos. I wonder how it would look in black with a Swarovski Crystal Chain ?? Hmmm…. Materials : 1. Start by making and baking a batch of polymer clay beads. […]

9. Door Hinge Bracelet DIY, with Glitter! | Sprinkles in Springs - May 9, 2012

[…] you’ll know that she is an amazing DIY’er. One of her more recent projects was this gold bracelet made out of mini door hinges. Genius! I loved it so much after I made it that I had to share it […]

10. [Guest Post] stripes & sequins Finding Inspiration | small shop [a brand styling studio] - October 9, 2012

[…] credits:  1, 2, 3, […]

11. Arm Candy: Red and Gold Edition – Circa Sunday Afternoon - April 4, 2013

[…] red and gold I created a woven chain bracelet using these directions and a hinge bracelet using these instructions. While I had some trouble with the pliers (yes it’s true) I managed to make […]