Last week, two articles really struck a chord with me. First there was this one, on Cup of Jo, which deals with how we spend our time… and prioritizing. If you say “I’m Too Busy,” a lot, then you probably need to read it. Then, there was this one on Jess Constable’s blog, followed by this one… both of which I felt I could have written – they describe how I’m feeling to a tee.
Both of these articles made me think. A lot.
Pretty much, I need to calm down, take a step back…. and focus on what’s really important.
Every morning, I feel like I’m stepping onto a high speed treadmill. Up at 7:30. Check social media and email. Gym for an hour Check social media and email again. Shower. Throw some semblance of a cute outfit on. Go to work. Go home. Scarf down a healthy but boring dinner. Stay up late working on blog & BaubleBar stuff. Inevitably, I can’t sleep because I’m making to-do lists in my head. I’ve always had a problem turning off, but it’s gotten especially bad this month.. especially as the boyfriend has been gone and he’s usually pretty good at helping me find a balance. It never ends, and despite all the good, exciting things going on, I wind up feeling tired and sometimes resentful. I’m not perfect. I’m not a robot. I just want to chill out and relax. I want to sleep in, eat bad food, watch bad TV, and avoid the computer at all costs. But if I do that, I fall so behind that I feel like I’ll never get caught up again.
For me, a big part of “calming down,” means not making so many plans…. and putting a bit less pressure on myself. Making more me time, and more cozy nights in with the bf. Stepping away from the phone… the computer… the endless Teux Deux list. Putting myself to bed early. Taking more baths. Appreciating the world around me. Not obsessing over my stats. Drinking more calming Yogi tea. Focusing on creating great content, and then stepping away from the computer and doing something else. Focusing on the important things, forgetting the little details.
It also means accepting that my life is a little crazy right now, and embracing the insanity a bit… focusing on all of the success we’re having at BaubleBar, and the joy that writing Stripes & Sequins and doing my DIY projects brings me.
Of course, all of this is easier said than done, but I’m certainly going to try.
This was a busy week. so this weekend, I have very little planned. Sleeping in… (yes, that is an actual plan.) A leisurely brunch with my best friend, seeing my sister, and lots and lots of crafts time. The boyfriend wraps his film on Sunday night, and will be back for good on Monday… (this makes me very happy.)
In keeping with tradition, here are a few favorite things from the week:
- I adore this blog. Sarah has such fantastic style – always creative, fresh, + original.
- This pitcher is my new favorite thing. Really, such a brilliant thing. Constantly having fruit-infused water on hand makes me feel like I live in a spa. It really is the little things in life. This thing rocks.
- My sister was featured on Brynn’s blog. I loved the interview, and it brings me so much joy to watch sister break into the blogging world and make her own blogging besties. Her blog is awesome, BTW… a serious must. In true sibling fashion, I’m jealous of all the cool stuff she finds!
- J.Crew + DIY? Yes please. I loved Anna’s maxi-skirt DIY!
- Lastly, this DIY bracelet on Delighted Momma is just fantastic – and made from an old cuff + rubber bands! Completely brilliant.
What are you up to this weekend? And what were your favorite things from the week? And.. please, tell me… how do you beat stress and feeling overwhelmed!?