March 12th, 2012

112

DIY: Nautical Red Necklace

Necklaces, necklaces, necklaces…  oh how I love mine.  The bigger, the brighter, the bolder, the better.  I’m always on the hunt for new ones.  During a routine inspiration trip to the hardware store (yes, the hardware store,) I was struck by how pretty these little red valve handles were… and how they had a bit of a nautical (sterring wheel, anyone?) feel to them.  I picked up a handful of them – all I could think about was how fun they would be as a necklace.

The little knobs are just over $2.00 a piece… (and also available in stainless steel and brass finishes.)  I really adore how the final product looks!

What you will need:

Start by laying out your little wheels, and figuring out what you want your pattern to be.  To properly attach your wheels, you will need  to ensure that you can link your design together via the thinner parts of the wheel.  Get creative!  I went with a bib type of pattern, but you could string a strand of wheels (vertical or horizontal,) come up with a more circular design, and use fewer pieces for something more simple.  (I wouldn’t recommend using more than 5 wheels, as they do get heavy.)

To begin, use your pliers to open up a jump ring and thread on one of your wheels.

Thread on an additional wheel, and use your pliers to close the jump ring.

Your two wheels will now look like the below.

Continue the process, hooking your wheels together using the jump rings.  Use two jump rings each time, for extra reinforcement.

Before you know it, you’ll be done.

Use an additional jump ring to secure your chain to the top of your newly formed bib.

Finish things of by attaching a clasp…

And you are done!  The results are very Kate Spade, if I do say so, myself.

For extra credit, wear with stripes.

40 Responses to DIY: Nautical Red Necklace

1. Alyson -- TAGG March 12, 2012 at 9:09 am #

Love this! What a creative use of those valves… the red against the stripes is perfect!

2. Liz {Sequins & Stripes} March 12, 2012 at 9:34 am #

This is so creative + clearly love this look with stripes! Perfection.

3. Alyssa March 12, 2012 at 10:25 am #

what a clever idea! and so cute!

4. Anna Liesemeyer March 12, 2012 at 10:41 am #

Grace, this is perfect with the striped top! Love the red splash this could make:)

5. PennyPincherFashion March 12, 2012 at 10:48 am #

This is AMAZING – you seriously could have your own DIY show…love the creativity!!

6. Erika [small shop] March 12, 2012 at 10:52 am #

Ive been looking for a big bauble necklace and this is a great solution. The pop of red is perfect! Would look so great with black, white or blush too!

7. Jen@redsolesandredwine March 12, 2012 at 11:07 am #

How adorable is this nautical necklace!  Love it.

8. Emily March 12, 2012 at 11:08 am #

How creative!  I love this!

9. MissRockwell March 12, 2012 at 11:30 am #

This is too adorable. And the red is more than amazing! When do you find the time to be so creative!?

10. Tereza March 12, 2012 at 12:02 pm #

This looks amazing, such a cute DIY!

11. Denise Atwood March 12, 2012 at 12:14 pm #

you are SO clever!!!

12. Sarah March 12, 2012 at 12:15 pm #

This is so great, Grace! I wish I had your inherent creativity. Awesome DIY!

13. Rebecca March 12, 2012 at 1:15 pm #

Very cute! I love this look.

14. Bettina March 12, 2012 at 4:30 pm #

I like how detailed your instructions are, it makes it possible for a newbie like me to follow along. Normally I’ll run into a DIY on a blog and love it, get excited, re-visit the post and realize I’m not too clear on all of the steps so I can’t move forward. I do have a question though, where do you get your materials for these types of jewelry DIYs, do you go to a craft store or a place that specializes in jewelry hardware?

graceatwood March 12, 2012 at 4:34 pm #

Hi Bettina! I always link within my posts to where to buy the items featured… in this case, I bought the red knobs at Home Depot and the chain and jump rings online from a few different jewelry shops. I hope that is helpful, and I’m so happy to hear that you like the level of detail in my tutorials!

• Bettina March 12, 2012 at 4:36 pm #

Oh wow, even better, thanks Grace! I’ll have to make sure I go back and click through on the other DIYs of yours I’ve been wanting to recreate so I can get all the materials at once!

graceatwood March 12, 2012 at 4:40 pm #

Yay! And if you ever find that the instructions / links are not specific enough, just ask! I hope you give this one a try… I’m wearing the necklace today and a little obsessed with it!

• Bettina March 12, 2012 at 4:57 pm #

I’m for sure going to try this one and a few other ones that you’ve posted. There are some that Christine has put up as well that I’m hoping to create as well. I’ll be tallying up my list of supplies this week!

15. sarah | chevrons & stripes March 12, 2012 at 4:33 pm #

OK, you’ve outdone yourself now! This is so creative and awesome – and the perfect POC (pop of color)!

16. Laura | Style Notes March 12, 2012 at 5:20 pm #

Nautical perfection! Gorgeous necklace :)

Laura xo

17. Megan Abigail Chandler March 12, 2012 at 5:26 pm #

ummm are you secretly a genius or something?! This is awesome! Looks like I know what I’ll be doing Sunday!

graceatwood March 12, 2012 at 5:30 pm #

Aw, thanks Megan! Please be sure to tweet / send a photo if you do!! xx

18. Frankie hearts fashion March 12, 2012 at 7:21 pm #

this is brilliant!! And loving the mini makeover to the site! xo

19. Erin @ Thanks, I Made It March 12, 2012 at 7:45 pm #

This is ridiculously awesome! The nautical look is also very you, especially with the stripes!

20. Alison @ deuxchicago March 12, 2012 at 9:35 pm #

OBSESSED! I know they have the little blue wheels at my neighborhood home depot.  I’m stealing your idea and then sending you a pic of the finished product.  Thanks for the awesome idea :)

graceatwood March 12, 2012 at 9:55 pm #

Blue!? Wow. Can not wait to see it!!!

21. The Life of Clare March 13, 2012 at 12:01 am #

Love love love this! can’t wait to give it a go!

22. Megan Zietz March 13, 2012 at 12:39 am #

so fun, i love this.

23. Kanae Jointer March 13, 2012 at 3:05 pm #

You always have the best DIY Projects. I plan to make this one. Its second in my queue. Love it!

24. Lisa March 13, 2012 at 6:31 pm #

Ingenious!

25. Matter Of Style March 19, 2012 at 2:28 pm #

eh eh the hardware store!
    great job with this necklace, so nautical!

26. Shawna Walker April 1, 2012 at 8:44 am #

Soooooo cute!

27. diygermz November 8, 2012 at 11:44 am #

yah, this would totally be handy esp of parties with sailor themes. i’m excited to make my own.

1. DIY Jewelry Project: Repurposed Valve Handles » How to Paint | How to Paint - March 19, 2012

[…] all of the clever ideas that come from the blog community. Behold, friends of The Apron Blog, this DIY jewelry project from Stripes + Sequins featuring a valve handle of all things. Truly, Grace, how did you come up […]

2. DIY Jewelry Project: Repurposed Valve Handles - March 20, 2012

3. Anchors Away - July 3, 2012

[…]  Wear your anchors with this DIY Necklace.  A match made in heaven. Pin It […]

4. 5 DIYs That Make Me Want To Go To Home Depot | Henry HappenedHenry Happened - September 14, 2012

[…] I Try DIY 3. Utility Rope Necklace from Honestly WTF 4. White Candle Holders from Alisa Burke 5. Nautical Red Necklace from Stripes and […]

5. free xbox 360 - October 3, 2012

{Online|On-line|On the internet|On the web|On the net|On line|Internet|Over the internet|Via the internet|Web based|Using the web} {Article|Post|Write-up|Short article|Report|Posting|Piece of writing|Guide|Content|Document|Brief article}…

The knowledge pointed out inside of the report are a few of the best on hand…

6. 2012 Favorite Projects | Stripes & Sequins - December 31, 2012

[…]  Nautical Red Necklace // Chain Friendship Bracelets // Pearl […]

7. DIY Wednesday – Projects I’m Gonna Be Doing in the Future | The It Girl Blogger - February 13, 2013

[…] Nautical Red Necklace by Stripes & […]