March 19th, 2012

holst bracelet

DIY: Holst + Lee inspired rope bracelet

I am loving rope jewelry right now.  Bright, fun, tribal, and perfect for Spring.  In my opinion, Holst + Lee does it the best.  This necklace?  Wow.  Or this one?  Oh my.  My only complaint is the price tag.  People.  It’s rope.  And cord.  With a few brass accents.  The cost of materials can’t be more than $20 – and that’s for the really elaborate ones.  Some of the pieces are a bit more intricate and will require (hours) of work, but others?  So simple.  I thought today we’d start slow with this gorgeous single strand bracelet.

What you will need:

Begin by taping your embroidery floss to the rope.

Continue to wrap, wrapping around 3x between each crystal.

Hold it steadily, and wrap away.  A pattern will emerge!

When you are halfway through, knot on your second color, and keep wrapping.

(Go back and snip off the ends later.)

Keep on wrapping… when you get to the end, tape the end down, just as you had done in the beginning.

Apply a small drop of Gorilla Glue to each end, and slide on the end cap.

Allow to dry for 1-2 hours.  (Overnight is best, but not everyone is that patient!)

Thread your jump ring through the end of the cap and close it.

Add your clasp…

And voila, your bracelet is complete!

48 Responses to DIY: Holst + Lee inspired rope bracelet

1. Alyssa Hertzig March 19, 2012 at 7:22 am #

Obsessed with this!!! I totally want to make this in neon shades. Amazing as usual, Grace! :)

2. Natasha Fatah March 19, 2012 at 7:39 am #

Wow, that looks so professionally done! It doesn’t have effect of most DIY friendship bracelets – this is really nice and easy to follow!

xoxo

3. Laura | Style Notes March 19, 2012 at 7:41 am #

Great job Grace! I love the colours :)

Laura xo

4. Candy March 19, 2012 at 8:18 am #

woah this is the perfect DIY…cute and easy!  and just in time to rock during the summer! great job!

xoxo
    Candy

5. Carly {a simple affair} March 19, 2012 at 8:35 am #

This is absolutely gorgeous! Pink + blue is one of my favorite combos at the moment. Makes me want to get crafting ASAP! And I am loving the blog changes! You’re doing a great job! xo

6. Erin @ Thanks, I Made It March 19, 2012 at 8:54 am #

Oh man, I hear ya about the cost of rope jewelry– so ridic! Yours looks fab for a fraction of the price!

7. Stephanie @ henry happened March 19, 2012 at 9:34 am #

You are so creative! Love it!

8. Alyson -- TAGG March 19, 2012 at 9:42 am #

LOVE this…. want to make a few with different colors! FUnny timing because I just made a crystal headband using the same technique. I was trying to think of how else I could utilize it… perfect! {ps: totally agree… spending more than $20 on rope? pass!}

9. Alex March 19, 2012 at 10:18 am #

this is such a great DIY! I don’t usually do DIY but now I’m really inspired to make one!

10. Viviana Carmona March 19, 2012 at 10:29 am #

Love this!! You need to write a book that contains all these fabulous DIY projects.

11. KyboeUSA March 19, 2012 at 10:56 am #

Can’t wait to try this!

12. Robina March 19, 2012 at 11:16 am #

brillant!!!!

13. Julia Rosinus March 19, 2012 at 11:34 am #

love this grace!! you are so talented. I wish I had the crafty gene.

14. Erica @ HonestlyWTF March 19, 2012 at 11:36 am #

awesomeness!!!

15. Alexa March 19, 2012 at 12:51 pm #

Oh my gosh love the detailing…this came out beautiful Grace.

16. Denise Atwood March 19, 2012 at 1:12 pm #

love this Grace, I want to go to Michael’s and buy everything!!

17. Sarah Sequins March 19, 2012 at 1:41 pm #

Beautiful! I bought a rhinestone bracelet for about 25 cents the other day, and now I want to use it for this project. :)

18. Aburdlypeculiar March 19, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

Awesome DIY! I always love the stuff Holst+Lee come up with but they are always too expensive!

19. Amy March 19, 2012 at 2:51 pm #

great diy grace! can’t wait to try.  And if any would rather make a magnetic closure like the original then follow instructions in this post

20. Kristin & Megan March 19, 2012 at 2:56 pm #

So freaking awesome! Love the color combo!

21. Thoter Thomas. March 19, 2012 at 2:59 pm #

Grace, you’re TOO talented! Love this. Keep up the great work! –TT

22. Bettina March 19, 2012 at 3:04 pm #

Another fabulous DIY! I love how you get a lot of your supplies online, like on Amazon, it makes it so much easier to buy everything!

23. Dora C March 19, 2012 at 4:25 pm #

This looks so pretty :)

24. victoria | vmac+cheese March 19, 2012 at 5:26 pm #

You amaze me. That is all.

25. Gaby March 19, 2012 at 5:35 pm #

WOW, love it!

26. The Life of Clare March 19, 2012 at 6:31 pm #

This is fantastic!  There’s a lot around with sequins and cotton at the moment!!!

27. Kate March 19, 2012 at 7:51 pm #

I mean….I can’t wrap my head around the fact that you can do that!! yours looks just as good, (if not better) as the original.
    <3 Kate

28. Acreativedayblog March 19, 2012 at 9:53 pm #

Ahhh so obsessed it looks amazing!

29. Erika [small shop] March 19, 2012 at 10:11 pm #

I saw the first photo and thought…no way! And there you go, knocking my socks off again! Could it be so easy? Can you sell your DIYs already? Please?

30. Tamra Sanford March 20, 2012 at 1:57 am #

How long does it take you take make this magic?  I tried an experiment today and after a few hours, it was a fail.  But hey, I know practice makes perfect, so I have lots to go.  But I’m even more in AWE now.

31. Liz {Sequins & Stripes} March 20, 2012 at 12:40 pm #

You are so crafty + amazing at these! I would not even know where to begin, seriously perfect!

32. Molliee Martin March 20, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

wow this is an amazing one! love it

33. lauren March 20, 2012 at 5:13 pm #

oh my gosh, you are a DIY genius!!!!

34. Ashley March 20, 2012 at 5:42 pm #

SO CUTE! I totally want to make one of these right now!

35. Rocks Paper Metal March 20, 2012 at 11:53 pm #

Fabulous DIY! We are loving cord right now too. Must add to our collection ASAP!!!

36. Jessica March 21, 2012 at 12:34 am #

LOVE this! adding it to my DIY list… mostly of bracelets of yours that I am crushing on!
    xx

37. Kara Endres April 3, 2012 at 6:11 pm #

Magical! I love these cord jewelry pieces but never knew where to get the cord ends (or what they were called!). I can’t believe how similar yours is to theirs!! Great job! xx

38. Jessielkirch April 18, 2012 at 5:24 pm #

I’m going to make these

39. JooJoo May 1, 2012 at 1:04 am #

Hi!
    The link to your blogpost to read ‘more’ doesn’t seem to work. Can u relink it ?Thanks!!

graceatwood May 7, 2012 at 5:38 pm #

Hi JooJoo,
      Thank you for your note! The problem has now been resolved!

40. Sara March 22, 2013 at 6:58 am #

I want to make this this weekend– I LOVE IT!!!

41. Monica Ibrahim October 17, 2013 at 7:43 am #

Very nice and creative. Loving it Xo

42. Monica Ibrahim October 17, 2013 at 7:44 am #

Very nice and creative. Loving it Xo

please check my blog

1. Pamela (z13thstar) | Pearltrees - March 19, 2012

[...] Begin by taping your embroidery floss to the rope. Wrap your embroidery floss around the rope once, and then add the chain – wrapping in between the first two crystals. What you will need: DIY: Holst + Lee inspired rope bracelet [...]

2. Bez metki | make it blue - July 22, 2012

[...] Kawa?ek sznurka i miedziane elementy nie mog? kosztowa? wi?cej, ni? $20 prawda? Zrób to sam z Stripes&Sequines. Pi?kne, cho? na granicy plagiatu. Share this:Wi?cejDodaj do ulubionych:Lubi?Be the first to [...]

3. DIY: Chain Friendship Bracelets - October 29, 2012

[...] With the weather warming up, all I want to do is make summery bracelets – for myself and all of my friends.   For the past few weeks I’ve been playing with rope and chain in attempt to make the “perfect” friendship bracelet, and I think that these come close.  They are fun and easy to make, though it takes a bit of practice and patience at first.  Over the weekend, I made several – and the whole family was infatuated.  My mom + sisters got involved, and now we’re all rocking an arm party.  Give it a try.  Wear one, three, or a whole arm of them!  (If you ask me, they’d look particularly lovely layered with this or this.) [...]

4. Top 5 DIY Bracelets « I'm DIY. DIY is Mine. - February 11, 2013

[...] Detalii pe: http://www.stripesandsequins.com/2012/03/diy-holst-lee-inspired-bracelet.html [...]

5. Craving: Holst + Lee Jewels and Otte Prints | Stripes & Sequins - March 22, 2013

[...] PS – Want a Holst + Lee inspired DIY?  Right this way… [...]